Project Investigator, Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Lori Ives-Baine is a nurse who has practiced at SickKids for more than 32 years. She worked initially as a staff nurse in the NICU and has provided support during end of life and bereavement care to families for more than 30 of those years.
She is currently working on the Paediatric Advanced Care Team (PACT) in supporting families through legacy creation and grief both before and after the death of their child. She also offers support to those who have an unexpected death of their child in or out of SickKids.
Lori's research focuses on the experiences of families and staff surrounding the death of their child. Future goals include the evaluation of the current programs offered through the Pathways Grief Support Program with PACT.
Education and experience
- 2022: Caring Essentials Trauma Informed Professional Certificate Program, USA
- 2017: Certification in Traumatology, Toronto Institute of Traumatology
- 2005–2009: Master of Nursing and Collaborative Program in Bioethics, University of Toronto
- 2003–2005: Certificate in Thanatology, King's College, University of Western Ontario
- 1985–1989: Bachelor of Science in Nursing, McMaster University
- 2014: Excellence in a Nursing Team Award, SickKids
- 2013: DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, SickKids
- 2011–2012: The Andrew Shennan Award in Excellence in Teaching by a Member of the Interprofessional Team, University of Toronto
- 2022: Labbatt Family Heart Centre Fund- “Sounds of the Heart - Translating ultrasound to audible sounds (OrpheUS Project)”. $25,000