Dr. Mandy Lam has been staff anesthesiologist at SickKids, and appointed lecturer at University of Toronto since 2015. Her interests are mainly in postgraduate education, and she has held the role of anesthesia resident coordinator since 2017. She is involved in academic and research activities related to education and evaluation of residents, as well as quality improvement in clinical outcomes.
Previous research has involved analyzing handover processes in recovery room whether formalized education of anesthesia trainees can improve communication. Building on that, current research involves an ongoing retrospective review of intraoperative handover data and effects on patient outcomes. Pertaining to medical education, an ongoing retrospective study is also underway to predict trainees’ level of entrustment in competence based medical education using clinical case encounters.
Education and experience
- 2004–2008: MD, University of Western Ontario, London, ON
- 2008–2013: Anesthesia Residency, FRCPC, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2013–2014: Clinical Associate, Paediatric anesthesia, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 2015: Paediatric anesthesia fellow, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 2015–current: Staff anesthesiologist, Paediatric anesthesia, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 2017–present: SickKids Anesthesia Resident Coordinator – University of Toronto
- 2016: Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching – The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2014: Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching – The Hospital for Sick Children