- Associate Staff, Section of Gynaecology
- MD, MPH, FRCSC
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Michele Pickles
- Alternate Phone:
- 416-813-7654 ext. 298444
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Chair Positions:
- Vice Chair, Global Women’s Health and Advocacy, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Toronto
Dr. Rachel Spitzer joined the section of Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology in 2008 after completing a fellowship at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). Spitzer received her Medical Degree from McMaster University and completed her residency in Obstetrics & Gynaecology at the University of Toronto. She is currently on staff at SickKids and Mount Sinai Hospital. She is an Associate Professor and Vice Chair at the University of Toronto.
Spitzer’s primary research interests at SickKids are in Adolescent Pregnancy and Contraception. Her research centers around improving the care and programs offered to pregnant adolescents to minimize their risk behaviours and improve their and their children’s health.
Education and experience
- 2001: Medical Degree, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
- 2006: Fellow, Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 2007: Master of Public Health, International Health, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
- 2008: Staff Physician, Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 2008: Staff Physician, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mount Sinai, Toronto, ON
- 2018: Chair’s Award for Excellence in Postgraduate Program Development and Innovation – University of Toronto Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- 2018: Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence – University of Toronto Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- 2017: Chair’s Award for Excellence in Continuing Medical Education Course Coordination – University of Toronto Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Spitzer RF, Steele SJ, Caloia D, Thorne J, Bocking AD, Christoffersen-Deb A, Yarmoshuk A, Maina L, Sitters J, Chemwolo B, Omenge E. One Year Evaluation of the Impact of an Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care (EmONC) Training Program at a Tertiary Care Facility in Western Kenya. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2014 Nov;127(2):189-193. Principal Author.
- Kandasamy T, Cherniak R, Shar R, Yudin MH, Spitzer R. Obstetric Risks and Outcomes of Refugee Women at a Single Centre in Toronto. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Canada. 2014 Apr;34(4):296-302. Senior Responsible Author.
- Hawkins L, Spitzer RF, Leah J, Christoffersen-Deb A, Mabeya H. Characteristics and surgical success of patients presenting for repair of obstetric fistula in Western Kenya. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2013 Feb 1;120(2):178-82. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- McFadden E, Taleski SJ, Bocking AD, Spitzer RF, Mabeya H. Retrospective Review of Predisposing Factors and Surgical Outcomes in Obstetric Fistula Patients at a Single Teaching Hospital in Western Kenya. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Canada. 2011 Jan;33(1):30-5. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Spitzer RF, Kives S, Ornstein M, Caccia N, Allen LM. Retrospective Review of Unintentional Pediatric Genital Trauma at One Institution. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2008 Dec;24(12):831-835. Principal Author.