Anti Streptolysin O Serology
Alternate test name
ASOT, Group A Streptococcal infections, Streptococcus pyogenes
Microbiology - Serology
Method and equipment
- Serum - 1 mL minimum for 1 test, >1 mL recommended for multiple tests.
Storage and transportation
- All specimens must be shipped on dry ice
- Exception: Specimens that will arrive at SickKids within 24 hours from the time of collection can be shipped on ice packs
- Acute and convalescent sera is required for serodiagnosis.
- The ASO titre reaches its peak by 3 - 5 weeks after infection and declines over the next 6 - 8 weeks.
- Patients with rheumatic fever have a mean ASO titre of 500 IU/mL.
Background and clinical significance
For the diagnosis of group A streptococcal infections and their non-supprative complications
- Group A streptococcal (Streptococcus pyogenes) infections
- Non-supprative complications of group A streptococcal infection - rheumatic fever and acute post streptococcal glomerulonephritis
Browse tests by laboratory
Toll Free: 1-855-381-3212