Alternate test name
Fungus, Fungal Infections, Aspergillosis, Zygomycosis (Mucormycosis), Histoplasmosis, Blastomycosis, Coccidioidomycosis
Gene name / Alternate gene name
ITS-2 (Internal transcribed spacer region) rRNA gene
Microbiology - Molecular
Method and equipment
Polymerase Chain Reaction followed by DNA sequence analysis
Expected turn-around time
Within 14 days
- Fresh clinical specimen - tissue/biopsy, sterile body fluids.
- Fixed/paraffin embedded specimen (block, not curls)
- Sterile screw top container for fresh clinical specimen. Please send report with fungal stain results
- For fixed/paraffin embedded block, please send pathology report and fungal stain slides with specimen
Storage and transportation
- Fresh specimen should be shipped on wet or dry ice
- Room temperature for fixed/paraffin embedded specimen
- Only fungal stain positive (GMS or calcolfuor) specimens will be processed. Specimens without accompanying fungal stain results will be rejected.
- Acceptable specimen types:
- fresh specimen i.e. tissue biopsy, sterile body fluids (Various)** - must send copy of report with fungal stain results.
- formalin fixed or paraffin block specimens - must send slides (H&E, GMS, PAS) and copy of Pathology report along with specimen.
- Invasive fungal infections
Browse tests by laboratory
Toll Free: 1-855-381-3212