Establish/Expand Cell line, Bank Cells and Sendout
Fibroblast cell lines are generated from fresh tissue biopsies. All cell lines are presently processed and stored according to current standards of best practices for biorepositories.
Instructions for Submission of Tissue / Biopsies for the Establishment of Fibroblast Cell Lines
- The biopsy must be performed under sterile conditions.
- The specimen should be submitted as soon as possible following collection to ensure specimen viability for successful establishment of a cell line.
- The size of the tissue specimen should be minimum 2-3 cubic mm.
- Transfer each tissue biopsy specimen immediately into individual sterile 15 mL screw cap tubes or sterile containers containing sterile medium (Culture Media + 15% FBS + 1% Pen/Strep). If tissue culture media cannot be obtained, physiological saline may be used instead.
- Top up the medium to fill the tube.
- Screw cap on tight
- Label with Epic label on each tube (If applicable)
- If sending more than one biopsy, process each sample separate.
If the specimen has to be stored overnight prior to sending to this laboratory, it should be kept at 40C in a sterile area. If there is no access to a fridge, it can be left at room temperature.
Each sample must be accompanied by a completed SickKids Clinical Fibroblast Service Requisition form, signed by the Clinician requesting the banking.
- Sendout information must be provided on the requisition with the appropriate approvals submitted when necessary.
- The Clinical Fibroblast Service (CFS) is a biorepository service that establishes, banks and distributes fibroblast cell lines, primarily for diagnostic testing.
- It operates with the oversight of the Cytogenetics Laboratory in the Division of Genome Diagnostics, Department of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine.
- Fibroblast cell lines are generated from fresh tissue biopsies. All cell lines are presently processed and stored according to current standards of best practices for biorepositories.
- Research specimens must be accompanied by the approved, current Research Ethics Board (REB) protocol and relevant signed patient consent form.
- All requests must be accompanied by a signed requisition completed appropriately for the required service(s).
Browse tests by laboratory
Toll Free: 1-855-381-3212