Undergraduate Nursing Students
Thank you for your interest in the nursing student placement program at SickKids. As a teaching hospital we are committed to providing learning opportunities for nursing students. This web page will provide you with details about the application process.
Please review the following items:
Undergraduate nursing student placements are coordinated by SickKids Learning Institute in collaboration with the university/academic placement coordinators.
- Placement requests will NOT be accepted from students directly and will be returned to the requesting student.
- Placement requests from out-of-country academic institutions are currently not accepted.
Nursing Student Placement Request Form must be completed by all students requesting a clinical placement at SickKids and submitted for approval to their academic placement coordinator.
Only one placement request will be accepted per student per term. The availability of our clinics changes from term to term. Many of our clinics are not suitable for students seeking a final consolidation placement.
- Applications received after the application deadline will not be considered.
- Each HSPnet placement request in the preceptor type of supervision needs to be accompanied by a placement request form.
- Once all applications are reviewed, SickKids will contact the academic placement coordinators and provide preliminary placement information. Students will be informed about the outcome of their placement requests by their placement coordinator.
- Prior to receiving a final confirmation of their acceptance for a placement at SickKids, students will be invited for an information interview to ensure a mutual understanding of goals and to confirm that learning needs can be appropriately met in the requested clinical area.
Documents required prior to placement
A current Affiliation Agreement needs to be in place with SickKids prior to any student placement. The academic placement coordinator is to contact SickKids to ensure that there is an agreement in place or to begin the process of establishing an agreement.
- SickKids ID Badge
- Windows Account
- Clinical Systems Training (Epic)
- N95 mask fit testing if more than two years since last test