Title: Clinician Scientist, Division of Haematology/Oncology
Designations: MD, PhD
Alternate Contact Name: Angelika Stavrakoukas
Alternate Phone: 416-813-7654 ext. 414529
Alternate Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
U of T Positions: Assistant Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Dr. Laura Avila attended medical school at the National University of Tucumán, Argentina. After completing her residency in Paediatrics at the German Hospital in Buenos Aires, Dr. Avila continued her training in Toronto with completion of her Paediatric Haematology/Oncology, and subspecialty, Haemostasis and Thrombosis fellowships at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids).
Dr. Avila obtained her PhD in Clinical Epidemiology from the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto, in 2016. Her research interests are focused on measurement in medicine and on outcomes of thrombotic events in children.
- Post-thrombotic syndrome in children: Measurement properties of CAPTSure, a new diagnostic tool. Avila ML, Feldman BM, Pullenayegum E, Lumia C, Montoya MI, Vincelli J, Williams S, Brandão LR.Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2019 Aug 28;3(4):652-657. eCollection 2019 Oct.PMID: 31624784
- Compression stockings to prevent post-thrombotic syndrome in adults, a Bayesian meta-analysis. Avila ML, Montoya M, Lumia C, Marson A, Brandão LR, Tomlinson G.Thromb Res. 2019 Oct;182:20-26. Epub 2019 Aug 12.PMID: 31442694
- Can thrombophilia predict recurrent catheter-related deep vein thrombosis in children? Avila ML, Amiri N, Stanojevic S, Vu TT, Barron K, Krol P, Yue N, Williams S, Brandão LR.Blood. 2018 Jun 14;131(24):2712-2719. Epub 2018 May 3.PMID: 29724900
- Development of CAPTSureTM - a new index for the assessment of pediatric postthrombotic syndrome. Avila ML, Brandão LR, Williams S, Montoya MI, Stinson J, Kiss A, Feldman BM.J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Dec;14(12):2376-2385. Epub 2016 Nov 23.PMID: 27709837
- Postthrombotic syndrome and other outcomes of lower extremity deep vein thrombosis in children. Avila ML, Pullenayegum E, Williams S, Yue N, Krol P, Brandão LR.Blood. 2016 Oct 6;128(14):1862-1869. Epub 2016 Jul 29.PMID: 27474755
See a full list of Dr. Avila's publications
- 2020–Present: GAP Funding, Division of Haematology/Oncology, Hospital for Sick Children.
- 2013–2015; 2018–Present: Physicians’ Services Incorporated Foundation.
- 2016–Present: Yeo Chair Grant in Benign Hematology. University of Toronto.