Dr. Eric Bouffet is a Professor of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto, Garron Family Chair in Childhood Cancer Research, and Head of the Neuro-Oncology Section in the Division of Haematology/Oncology at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto, Canada.
He is a Senior Associate Scientist at SickKids Research Institute. He was the Former President for the International Society of Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) with a term from 2016-2019, and is now the Advocacy Chair for SIOP. He is Chair of the Canadian Paediatric Brain Tumour Consortium since 2003. Dr. Bouffet is a member of the steering committee of the Brain Tumour Committee of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG).
Dr. Bouffet’s research focuses on paediatric brain tumours, and in particular in innovative clinical trials. This includes repurposing, such as the development of the vinblastine program for paediatric low grade glioma that has been going on since 2000. This also includes clinical trials of new drugs, in particular in the context of low grade glioma, high grade glioma, hypermutated tumours, ependymoma, medulloblastoma and diffuse pontine gliomas.
He also has an interest in brain repair and works closely with Dr. Mabbott on brain rehabilitation. Another aspect of his research relates to the development of paediatric neuro-oncology programs in low- and middle-income countries.
Education and experience
- 1980–1987: General Professional training in Paediatrics (Residency and fellowship equivalent), Lyon Municipal Hospitals, France
- 1987–1995: Médecin Spécialiste (Staff equivalent) in Paediatric Neuro-Oncology, Centre Leon Bérard, France
- 1992–1995: Head of the Unit of Paediatric Neuro-Oncology, Centre Leon Bérard, France
- 1993–1995: Head of the Department of Neuro-Oncology (paediatric and adult) , Centre Leon Bérard, France
- 1996–1998: Consultant Senior Lecturer in Paediatric Oncology, University of Bristol, England
- 1998–2000: Consultant Paediatric Oncologist, The Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, England
- 2000–Present: Director of the Paediatric Neuro-Oncology Program, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- 2000–Present: Professor of Paediatrics, University of Toronto
- 2000–Present: Senior Associate Scientist, Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children,
- 2011–Present: Garron Family Chair in Childhood Cancer Research
- 2000–Present: Chair, Canadian Paediatric Brain Tumour Consortium
- 2000–Present: Editorial Board member, Paediatric Oncology Panel, European Journal of Cancer
- 2005–Present: Canadian Brain Tumour Consortium, Board of Directors
- 2005–Present: Editorial Board member, Current Therapy Reviews
- 2007–Present: Editorial Board Member, Neuro-Oncology
- 2010–Present: Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium (pbtc.org): Member of the Data Safety Monitoring Board
- 2010–Present: C17: co-chair of the Canadian international health initiative
- 2010–Present: COG: Sterring committee “CNS tumor in infants”
- 2012–Present: CNS Oncology: Editorial Board Member
- 2015–2015: President-Elect of SIOP
- 2016–2019: President of SIOP
- 2016–Present: Journal of Neuro-Oncology: Associate Editor, Pediatrics
- 2016–Present: Child Nervous System: Associate Editor
- 2018–Present: Pediatric Blood & Cancer Editorial Board Member
- 2019–Present: Past President of SIOP; Advocacy Chair in Advocacy Task Force of SIOP
- 2002: Haematology/Oncology Alvin Zipursky Teaching Award
- 2003: Ontario Cancer Research Network (OCRN) Award. (PI: Eric Bouffet)
- 2006: Paediatric Brain Tumour Foundation Institute Award (Project: Identification of interstitial germline deletions in children with complex clinical syndromes that include medulloblastoma). (PI: Michael Taylor)
- 2007: Ontario Institute of Cancer Research (OICR) Award. (PI: Eric Bouffet)
- 2007: Claus Wirsig Humanitarian Award, Hospital for Sick Children
- 2007: Richard Rowe Award for Clinical Excellence in Paediatric Medical Care
- 2011: Garron Family Chair of Childhood Cancer Research
- 2012: Inaugural Sickkids Discovery Forum: Best Clinical Research Paper
- 2012: Tourism Toronto: Ambassador of the Leaders Circle Award 2014, for the organization of the 5th International Symposium on Paediatric Neuro-Oncology, Toronto
- 2013: Paediatric Clinical Research Award, WNFO/SNO Meeting, San Francisco.
- 2014: Tourism Toronto: Ambassador of the Leaders Circle Award 2016, for the organization of the 46th Congress of the International Society of Paediatric Oncology, Toronto
- 2016: Make a Wish Foundation of Canada Award
- 2017: Honorary Citizen of Shenzhen City Nomination
- 2017: Haematology/Oncology Alvin Zipursky Teaching Award
- 2020: Haematology/Oncology Alvin Zipursky Teaching Award
- Guerreiro Stucklin AS, Ryall S, Fukuoka K, Zapotocky M, Lassaletta A, Li C, Bridge T, Kim B, Arnoldo A, Kowalski PE, Zhong Y, Johnson M, Li C, Ramani AK, Siddaway R, Nobre LF, de Antonellis P, Dunham C, Cheng S, Boué DR, Finlay JL, Coven SL, de Prada I, Perez-Somarriba M, Faria CC, Grotzer MA, Rushing E, Sumerauer D, Zamecnik J, Krskova L, Garcia Ariza M, Cruz O, Morales La Madrid A, Solano P, Terashima K, Nakano Y, Ichimura K, Nagane M, Sakamoto H, Gil-da-Costa MJ, Silva R, Johnston DL, Michaud J, Wilson B, van Landeghem FKH, Oviedo A, McNeely PD, Crooks B, Fried I, Zhukova N, Hansford JR, Nageswararao A, Garzia L, Shago M, Brudno M, Irwin MS, Bartels U, Ramaswamy V, Bouffet E, Taylor MD, Tabori U, Hawkins C. Alterations in ALK/ROS1/NTRK/MET drive a group of infantile hemispheric gliomas. Nat Commun. 2019 Sep 25;10(1):4343. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-12187-5. PMID: 31554817; PMCID: PMC6761184.
- Lafay-Cousin L, Bouffet E, Strother D, Rudneva V, Hawkins C, Eberhart C, Horbinski C, Heier L, Souweidane M, Williams-Hughes C, Onar-Thomas A, Billups CA, Fouladi M, Northcott P, Robinson G, Gajjar A. Phase II Study of Nonmetastatic Desmoplastic Medulloblastoma in Children Younger Than 4 Years of Age: A Report of the Children's Oncology Group (ACNS1221). J Clin Oncol. 2020 Jan 20;38(3):223-231. doi: 10.1200/JCO.19.00845. Epub 2019 Nov 27. PMID: 31774708; PMCID: PMC6968798.
- Li BK, Vasiljevic A, Dufour C, Yao F, Ho BLB, Lu M, Hwang EI, Gururangan S, Hansford JR, Fouladi M, Nobusawa S, Laquerriere A, Delisle MB, Fangusaro J, Forest F, Toledano H, Solano-Paez P, Leary S, Birks D, Hoffman LM, Szathmari A, Faure-Conter C, Fan X, Catchpoole D, Zhou L, Schultz KAP, Ichimura K, Gauchotte G, Jabado N, Jones C, Loussouarn D, Mokhtari K, Rousseau A, Ziegler DS, Tanaka S, Pomeroy SL, Gajjar A, Ramaswamy V, Hawkins C, Grundy RG, Hill DA, Bouffet E, Huang A, Jouvet A. Pineoblastoma segregates into molecular sub-groups with distinct clinico-pathologic features: a Rare Brain Tumor Consortium registry study. Acta Neuropathol. 2020 Feb; 139(2):223-241. doi: 10.1007/s00401-019-02111-y. Epub 2019 Dec 9. PMID: 31820118.
- Sullivan M, Bouffet E, Rodriguez-Galindo C, Luna-Fineman S, Khan MS, Kearns P, Hawkins DS, Challinor J, Morrissey L, Fuchs J, Marcus K, Balduzzi A, Basset-Salom L, Caniza M, Baker JN, Kebudi R, Hessissen L, Sullivan R, Pritchard-Jones K. The COVID-19 pandemic: A rapid global response for children with cancer from SIOP, COG, SIOP-E, SIOP-PODC, IPSO, PROS, CCI, and St Jude Global. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 Jul;67(7):e28409. doi: 10.1002/pbc.28409. Epub 2020 May 13. PMID: 32400924; PMCID: PMC7235469.
- Kebudi R, Amayiri N, Abedalthagafi M, Rana AN, Kirmani S, Musthaq N, Lamki ZA, Houdzi JE, Yazici H, El-Naggar S, Edwards M, Bianchi VJ, Durno C, Tabori U, Bouffet E; International RRD Consortium on Low-Resource Settings Panel. Position paper: Challenges and specific strategies for constitutional mismatch repair deficiency syndrome in low-resource settings. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 Aug; 67(8): e28309. doi: 10.1002/pbc.28309. Epub 2020 May 30. PMID: 32472748.