- Staff Physician, Division of Paediatric Emergency Medicine
- B.Sc., M.Sc., MD, FRCPC
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Caseita Dewar-Morgan
- Alternate Phone:
- 416-813-7654 ext. 201486
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Senior Associate Scientist
Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Dr. Kathy Boutis graduated from the University of Toronto medical school in 1991. She completed a residency in paediatrics in 1998, and a fellowship in paediatric emergency medicine in 2001 at the Children's Hospital in Boston, Harvard University. In 2008, she completed a Master’s degree in Health Research Methodology at McMaster University.
Dr. Boutis is currently a staff physician in the emergency department at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), a Senior Associate Scientist in the Child Health Evaluative Sciences Program at SickKids Research Institute, and a Professor of Paediatrics with the University of Toronto. In 2009, she developed an emergency department-based student volunteer program and led the operations of this program until 2018. From 2012-2018, she was Research Director in Paediatric Emergency Medicine and since 2015 she is the Vice-Chair of the Research Ethics Board.
Dr. Boutis has become an internationally recognized thought leader in paediatric emergency medicine, whose research on musculoskeletal injuries has challenged dogma and is transforming practice. She links her core research area to child abuse, radiation exposure, and how trainees learn. Her established work on learning curves and the interpretation of diagnostic images combines scholarship in education theory, decision-making, and implementation science and resulted in an innovative on-line learning platform called ImageSim.
Education and experience
- 1984–1988: B.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1987–1991: MD, Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1992–1994: Senior House Officer, London University, London England
- 1995–1997: Paediatric Residency, The Children's Hospital, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
- 1998–2001: Paediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship, The Children's Hospital, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
- 2004–2008: M.Sc., Health Research Methodology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 2020: John Ruedy Award for Innovation in Medical Education, The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada
- 2019: Continuing Medical Education Award, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2019: Fred Fallis Award in On-line Learning, University of Toronto
- 2011: Physician Research Recognition Award, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto
- 2009: National Terry Klassen Young Investigator Award, Paediatric Emergency Research Canada
- A Big Data and Learning Analytics Approach to Process-Level Feedback in Cognitive Simulations. Pecaric M, Boutis K, Beckstead J, Pusic M. Acad Med. 2017 Feb;92(2):175-184.
- Radiograph-Negative Lateral Ankle Injuries in Children Occult Growth Plate Fracture or Sprain? Boutis K, Plint A, Stimec J, Miller E, Babyn P, Schuh S, Brison R, Lawton L, Narayanan G. JAMA Pediatrics. 2016;170:e154114.
- Deliberate Practice as Education for Interpreting the Prepubescent Female Genital Examination. Davis A, Pecaric M, Pusic M, Smith T, Shouldice M, Brown J, Wynter S, Legano L, Boutis K. Child Abuse Negl. 2020 Mar;101:104379. doi: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2020.104379.
- Effect of the Low Risk Ankle Rule on the frequency of radiography in children with ankle injuries. Boutis K, Grootendorst P, Willan A, Plint AC, Babyn P, Brison RJ, Sayal A, Parker M, Mamen N, Schuh S, Grimshaw J, Johnson D, Narayanan U. CMAJ. 2013;185(15):E731-8.
- Adverse Events from Emergency Physician Pediatric Extremity Radiograph Interpretations: A Prospective Cohort Study. Al-Sani F, Prasad S, Panwar J, Stimec J, Khosroawshahi A, Mizzi M, Camp M, Colaco K, Kramer A, Boutis K. Acad Emerg Med. 2020 Feb;27(2):128-138.
- Physician Services Incorporated
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Canadian Dermatology Foundation
- Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons