Dr. Ray Buncic is an active clinical neuro-ophthalmologist in the Department of Ophthalmology at SickKids. Following graduation from McGill Medical School in 1965, he interned and studied internal medicine at the Royal Victoria Hospital before moving to Toronto to complete the residency program in Ophthalmology. His post-graduate studies included fellowships in neuro-otology (University of Toronto) and neuro-ophthalmology (University of California, San Francisco). He was an active consultant at the Holland Bloorview Kids Rehab Center for three decades where he has provided neuro-ophthalmic care for a wide spectrum of children with central nervous system (CNS) disorders. He has maintained an active interest in clinical research related to pediatric and CNS disorders during his career.
- 1961–1965: MDCM, Medicine, Faculty of, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
- 1966–1967: Internal medicine residency 1, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
- 1967–1970: Residency program, Ophthalmology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1970–1971: Fellowship, Neuro-Otology, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1971–1972: Fellowship, Neuro-Ophthalmology, San Francisco Medical Centre (Moffitt Hospital), University of California, San Francisco, California, United States
- 1972: Samuel McLaughlin Travelling Fellowship (18 months), Neuro-Ophthalmology
- 1972: Fellowship (3 months), Neuro-Ophthalmology, Queen Square, London, United Kingdom
- 1972–2007: Staff Ophthalmologist, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1972–2014: Consultant Ophthalmologist, The Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Centre, Toronto, Ontario
- 1972–Present: Staff Ophthalmologist, The Toronto Hospital (General Division), Toronto, Ontario
- 1980–1991 Deputy, Ophthalmologist-in-Chief, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1988–Present: Staff Ophthalmologist, The Toronto Hospital (Western Division), Toronto, Ontario
- 1991–2002 Ophthalmologist-in-Chief, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1997–Present: Professor, Ophthalmology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2007–Present: Staff Ophthalmologist, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 2019: Order of Canada. In recognition of work done in paediatric neuro-ophthalmology
- 2010: In recognition of commitment to road safety, Ministry of Transportation of Ontario Driver Improvement Office, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Distinction) Long Commitment to the Driver Improvement Office.
- 2009: Medical Staff Assembly (MSA) Citizenship award, Departmentt of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Canada
- 2002: Claud Worth Gold Medal, London, England, United Kingdom.
For international leadership in paediatric ophthalmology, presented by the UK childrens’ group.
- 1998: Honour Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, United States. For significant professional contribution.
- 1986: Honour award, American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, United States.
For contributions to the American Association for Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus.
- Liu H, Buncic JR. Long-term follow-up of torsional augmentation surgery in a case of congenital ocular tilt reaction with head tilt. JAAPOS. 2018 Nov; DOI: 10.1016/j.jaapos.2018.11.002. [Epub ahead of print] Coauthor.
- Kummarappah A, Wright T, Dracopoulos A, Buncic JR, Westall C. Vigabatrin toxicity in infancy associated with retinal defects in adolesence. A prospective observational study. Retina. 2017 May;37(5):858-866. (Trainee publication, Masters Student, Medical Sciences Institute, University of Toronto). Coauthor.
- Mezer E, Westall C, Mirabella G, Wyganski-Jaffe T, Yagev R, Buncic JR. Recovery of visual function in children with Papilledema using sweep visual evoked potentials. J. of the American Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. 2016 Jun;20(3):252-7 . (Trainee publication, Fellow in Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Hospital for Sick Children during the time of the study.). Senior Responsible Author.
- Sharma A, Liu ES, Le TD, Adatia FA, Buncic JR, Blaser S, Richardson S. Pediatric orbital cellulitis in the Haemophilus influenzae vaccine era. J AAPOS. 2015 Jun;19(3):206-10. Coauthor.
- Ann Yeh, Ruth Ann Marrie, Y. Arun Reginald, Joseph RayBuncic, Austin Sye, Julia O’Mahony, Jean K. Mah, Brenda Banwell, Fiona Costello. Functional–structural correlations in the afferent visual pathway in pediatric demyelination. 2014;83:1–6. Neurology. Coauthor.
Dr. Ray Buncic, Staff Ophthalmologist, Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, and Dr. Chaim Roifman, Staff Physician, Immunology and Allergy at SickKids were recently appointed as Members of the Order of Canada.