- Active Staff Surgeon, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- MD, PhD, F.R.C.S.(C), F.A.C.S., F.A.A.P.
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Heather Sellars
- Alternate Phone:
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Professor of Surgery, University of Toronto
Howard M. Clarke is a Professor in the Departments of Surgery and Physical Therapy at the University of Toronto where he has been on the faculty since 1987. He practices in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children.
Dr. Clarke is responsible for the brachial plexus programme at the Hospital for Sick Children, which provides a weekly multidisciplinary clinic for the evaluation of children with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy. He is extensively involved in both primary and secondary reconstructive procedures for these children.
Education and experience
- 1987–Present: Surgeon, Division of Plastic Surgery, the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2011–2012: President of the American Society for Peripheral Nerve
- 2015–2016: President of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- 2016–2018: Inaugural President of the International Confederation of Plastic Surgery Societies (ICOPLAST)
- Ho, E.S.; Davidge, K.; Curtis, C.G.; Clarke, H.M. Sensory outcome in children following microsurgery for brachial plexus birth injury. J. Hand Surg. [Am] 44:159.e1-e8, 2019.
- Bains, R.; Kattan, A.; Curtis, C.G.; Stephens, D.; Borschel, G.; Clarke, H.M. Active range of motion over time in patients with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy: A 10-year analysis. J. Hand Surg. [Am] 43:386.e1-e7, 2018.
- Rakhorst, H.A.; Badran, H.; Clarke, H.M.; Cooter, R.; Evans, G.R.D.; Kirschbaum, J.D.; Koh, J.S.; Lazier, C.; Murphy, R.X., Jr.; Nakatsuka, T.; Piccolo, N.S.; Perks, G. Introducing the International Confederation of Plastic Surgery Societies: ICOPLAST. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 140:627-633, 2017.
- Lin, J.C.; Schwentker-Colizza, A.; Curtis, C.G.; Clarke, H.M. Final results of grafting versus neurolysis in obstetrical brachial plexus palsy. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 123:939-948, 2009.
- Curtis, C.; Stephens, D.; Clarke, H.M.; Andrews, D. The active movement scale: An evaluative tool for infants with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy. J. Hand Surg. [Am] 27:470-478; 2002.
See all of Howard Clarke's publications on Google Scholar.