Dr. Jackie Chiang attended medical school at the University of Ottawa and completed her paediatric residency and respiratory medicine fellowship at the University of Toronto. She initially joined the Division of Respiratory Medicine in 2017 and held a cross appointment between The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) and Holland Bloorview prior to transitioning to SickKids full time in 2021. Dr. Chiang is an integral member of the Long-Term Ventilation and Sleep Medicine programs. She also plays an active educational role within the division for the Respiratory Medicine, Sleep and Long-term Ventilation training programs.
The overall aim of Dr. Chiang’s research is to develop and evaluate best respiratory practices for children with medical complexity, including paediatric patients with neuromuscular disease and/or requiring home ventilation.
Education and Experience
- 2019–2020: Sleep Medicine training, Division of Respiratory Medicine, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 2011–2014: Paediatric Respiratory Medicine Fellowship, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2008–2011: Paediatric Residency, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2004–2008: Doctorate of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
- Xiao L, Chiang J, Castro-Codesal M, Kolski H, Bedi P, Al Amrani F, D Gonorazky H, Amin R, Sickkids SMA Group. Respiratory Characteristics in Children with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1 Receiving Nusinersen. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2022 Oct 3. doi: 10.1002/ppul.26173.
- Chiang J, Varadi R, Snow N, Al-Saleh S, Mehta K, Al-Awadi A, Almajeed A, McAdam L, Goldstein R, Amin R. Assessing air travel safety in neuromuscular disease: standard versus prolonged hypoxic challenge tests. Sleep and Breathing. 2021 Aug 7. doi: 10.1007/s11325-021-02462-5.
- Chiang J, Karim A, Hoffman A, Dryden-Palmer K, Keilty K, Syed F, Janevski J, Dutta T, Fellin M, Lindsay S, Beaune L, Amin R. Tough transitions: Family caregiver experiences with a pediatric long-term ventilation discharge pathway. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2021 Jul 28; doi: 10.1002/ppul.25588. Online ahead of print.
- Chiang J, Amin R. Family Caregivers Facing the Decision of Long-term Ventilation for their Child: Mind the Gap. Editorial. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2020 Jan;17(1):32-33. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201910-747ED.
- Amin R, MacLusky I, Zielinski D, Adderley R, Carnevale F, Chiang J, Cote A, Daniels C, Harrison C, Daigneault P, Katz S, Keilty K, Majaesic C, Moraes T, Price A, Radhakrishnan D, Rapoport A, Spier S, Thavagnanam S, Witmans M. Paediatric Home Mechanical Ventilation: Canadian Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline. Canadian Journal of Respiratory, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. 2017;1(1):7-36.
See a full list of Dr. Chiang's publications.
- 2020–2021: Principal Investigator. Implementation of a New Model of Respiratory Care for Infants with SMA type 1 Identified on Newborn Screening and Treated with Nusinersen. Co-Investigators: Amin R, Gonorazky H, Dowling J, McAdam L, Xiao L, Amrani F, Qashqari H, Syed F, Kuyntjes S, Janevski J, Boyd J, Law E. Funding Source: Department of Paediatrics Creative Professional Activity Grant. $9,905 CAD
- 2019–2024: Co-Investigator. A Virtual Transition Intervention for Children and Adults Transitioning to Home Ventilation in Ontario: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Canadian Institute of Health Research Transitions in Care: Team Grant. Co-Investigators: Gershon A, Rose L, Buchanan F, Pizzuti R, Paquet M, McKim D, Bhatia S, Cornejo Palma D, Dainty K, Fraser I, Goldstein R, Katz S, Leasa D, Lim A, McKay S, Moretti M, Pinto R, Nonoyama M, Sidhu A, Tandon A, Toonders B, Workentin K, Cheng A, Saindon J. Funding Sources: CIHR: $884,252 CAD; ProResp: $50,000 CAD; Medigas a Division of Praxair: $53,000 CAD; VHA Home Healthcare: $40,000 CAD; Boehringer-Ingelheim: $64,000 CAD; MD Canada: $64,000 CAD
- 2018–2020: Co-Principal Investigator. Long-term Ventilation (LTV) Discharge Pathway: Evaluating the Perceptions of Family Caregivers on Skill Acquisition and Competency. Co-investigators: Amin R, Karim A, Hoffman A, Dryden-Palmer K, Keilty K, Syed F, Janevski J, Dutta T, Fellin M, Lindsay S, Beaune L. Funding Source: Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Centre for Leadership Grant. $19,942.92 CAD