Project Investigator, Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Assistant Program Director, Paediatric Urology Fellowship Program, SickKids
Dr. Michael Chua finished his medical education and urology residency at the St. Luke's MedicalCenter (SLMC), Philippines. As a Chief Resident, he successfully completed the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System Training, Surgeon Console Program at the Harvard Medical School, Boston Children's Hospital. He completed research fellowship training in Urodynamics and Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction at the Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, New Taipei, Taiwan. He then completed training in Paediatric Urology at SickKids. He pursued additional Adult and Paediatric Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery Clinical Fellowship at the Eastern Virginia Medical School, VA, USA. He returned to SickKids for further focused training through the Adolescent and Transitional Urology Paediatric Clinical Fellowship.
He had his Masters in Applied Science for Global Health Planning and Management at the Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Chua is also serving as a teaching assistant at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Institute of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation. Currently, he is the an Assistant Professor in Global Surgery under the Department of Surgery, University of Toronto.
- Chua ME, Ming JM, Kim JK, Milford KL, Silangcruz JM, Ren L, Rickard M, Lorenzo AJ. Meta-analysis of retroperitoneal vs transperitoneal laparoscopic and robot-assisted pyeloplasty for the management of pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction. BJU Int. 2020 Oct 8. doi: 10.1111/bju.15264
- Chua ME, Zuckerman JM, Strehlow R 6th, Virasoro R, DeLong JM, Tonkin J, McCammon KA. Liposomal Bupivacaine Local Infiltration for Buccal Mucosal Graft Harvest Site Pain Control: A Single-blinded Randomized Controlled Trial. Urology. 2020 Nov;145:269-274. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2020.06.067
- Chua ME, Rong M, Tuba-Ang K, Silangcruz JMA, Tanseco PP, Ming JMC, Kim K, Hui CC, Farhat WA. The impact of sex hormones on genital wound healing in mice: a comparative study. J Pediatr Urol. 2019 Sep 18. pii: S1477-5131(19)30257-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2019.09.001.
- Chua ME, Farhat WA, Ming JM, McCammon KA. Review of clinical experience on biomaterials and tissue engineering of urinary bladder. World J Urol. 2020 Sep;38(9):2081-2093.
- Chua ME, Ming JM, Fernandez N, Varghese A, Farhat WA, Bagli DJ, Lorenzo AJ, Pippi Salle JL. Modified staged repair of bladder exstrophy: A strategy to prevent penile ischemia while maintaining advantage of the complete primary repair of bladder exstrophy. J Pediatr Urol. 2019 Feb;15(1):63.e1-63.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2018.09.005.