Joana Dos Santos
Dr. Joana Dos Santos joined the Division of Urology at SickKids in July 2015 as the first Medical Urologist in Canada, and subsequently to the University of Toronto as an Assistant Professor of Paediatrics. After completing medical school at the Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro, she underwent paediatrics and paediatric nephrology residency training at the Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Dos Santos started at SickKids in 2011 as research fellow in Paediatric Nephrology, later to become a true pioneer as the first Medical Urology Fellow with training focused on clinical management of urological conditions.
Dos Santos is the Director of the Urology clinic. She also leads a dedicated Medical Urology Clinic, as well as the Newborn Circumcision clinic. She’s the supervisor for paediatric residency training in Urology. Dos Santos leads the Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction Network, an innovative initiative in which children with BBD who are referred to Urology at SickKids are re-referred to a network of community paediatricians in the GTA (closer to home) with close support from SickKids' Division of Urology. Dos Santos is passionate about the medical management of urological conditions and continuous improvement of the care of children.
Dos Santos is an active researcher interested in bladder and bowel dysfunction, neurogenic bladder, congenital abnormalities of the kidneys and urinary tract, and renal stones. She developed a new grading system for the management of Antenatal Hydronephrosis, which has been published in 2015. Dos Santos wrote the CPS BBD practice points and is co-author for the CUA BBD guidelines. She is currently studying the impact of neuromodulation (TENS and SNS) in the management of refractory non-neurogenic urinary and fecal incontinence.
Education and experience
- 2014–2016: Medical Urology Fellow, Urology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2011–2014: Nephrology Research and Clinical Departmental fellow, Nephrology. The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2007–2008: Chief resident of Pediatrics. Department of Pediatrics. Paulista School of Medicine (EPM). Federal University of São Paulo (UNIFESP)
- 2006–2008: Resident, Pediatric Nephrology. Pediatric Nephrology Division, Department of Pediatrics. Paulista School of Medicine (EPM). Federal University of São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2004–2006: Resident, Pediatrics. Paulista School of Medicine (EPM). Federal University of São Paulo (UNIFESP),São Paulo-SP, Brazil.
- 2002–2003: Internship, Pediatrics, Gaffre and Guinle University Hospital, School of Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro
- 1997–2003: MD, School of Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro