- Cardiac Anesthesiologist, Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
- MD, PhD, FAHA
- 416-813-1500 ext. 202812
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Shue Lin Loo
- Alternate Phone:
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
Dr. David Faraoni is a paediatric anesthesiologist from Belgium. He completed his PhD thesis in June 2015, entitled: “Perioperative Management of Bleeding in Children undergoing Cardiac Surgery”.
Faraoni joined The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in July 2016, completing a cardiac anesthesia fellowship. In July 2017, he was appointed staff anesthesiologist in the Division of Cardiac Anesthesia and the Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine at SickKids, and Associate Professor of Anesthesia in the Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine at University of Toronto.
Dr. Faraoni’s main research program objective is to study coagulopathy in neonates and children with congenital heart disease (CHD), with a strong interest in identifying the underlying mechanisms (both at the clot and molecular levels) leading to the clinical phenotype observed in this population (e.g. bleeding and thrombosis). His research program aims at incorporating genetics, molecular medicine and hemostasis to understand how and why infants and children with CHD have altered coagulation, and how that can be incorporated into oriented therapeutic options.
Education and experience
- 2017–Present: Staff Cardiac Anesthesiologist, Division of Cardiac Anesthesia, Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, SickKids, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2018–Present: Associate Scientist, Translational Medicine, SickKids Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2017–Present: Associate Professor of Anesthesia, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2012–2014: Staff Anesthesiologist, Department of Anesthesiology, Queen Fabiola Children’s University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2012–2014: Staff Anesthesiologist, Department of Anesthesiology, Brugmann University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2014–2016: Research Associate, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2014–2016: Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Anaesthesia Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2012–2015: Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
- FaraoniD, Zurakowski D, Vo D, Goobie SM, Koichi Y, Brown ML, DiNardo JA. Perioperative Outcomes in Children with Congenital Heart Disease undergoing Non-Cardiac Surgery: a Propensity Matched Analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 67: 793-801
- GoobieSM, Faraoni D, Zurakowski D, DiNardo JA. Preoperative Anemia is an Independent Risk Factor for Postoperative Mortality in Neonates. JAMA Pediatr 2016; 170: 855-62
- FaraoniD, Vo D, Nasr VG, DiNardo JA. Development and Validation of a Risk Stratification Score for Children with Congenital Heart Disease Undergoing Non-Cardiac Surgery. Anesth Analg 2016; 123: 824-30
- FaraoniD, DiNardo JA, Goobie SM. Relationship between preoperative anemia, red blood cell transfusion, and in-hospital mortality in children undergoing non-cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 2016; 123: 1582-87
- Nasr VG, Staffa S,Zurakowski D, DiNardo JA, Faraoni D. The Integration of the Intrinsic Surgical Risk into A Pediatric Risk Assessment Model Helps Predict Mortality following Pediatric Noncardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology 2019; 130:971-980