Program Director, Precision IBD and Monogenic Intestinal Diseases Clinic
With over twenty years of clinical experience, Karen Frost is first a clinician who oversees a paediatric population with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) in an academic and acute care institution. She has also been instrumental in the inception of the Precision IBD and Monogenic Intestinal Diseases Program.
Karen is the educational resource lead for the SickKids IBD Centre and has published multiple educational materials for health care providers and patients. She founded/co-founded the Canadian Nurses in IBD Group and Nurses in IBD Care and Education.
With the advent of advanced IBD therapies, Karen is forefront in the management of patients on biologic therapies alongside her physician group. She has served as the gateway in bringing these therapies to their patients, making the IBD Centre a pioneer in novel therapies.
Having a huge interest in technological application of care in patients, she is the lead project manager of the very first SickKids Hospital app, myIBD+. Karen has consulted on multiple patient and professional related tech initiatives including web care portals, mobile application framework development, and point of care interactive terminals.
Karen continues to be involved as a collaborator in research pertaining to transition care; clinical utility of therapeutic drug levels and other biomarkers; IBD nursing initiatives, pharmacogenomics/dynamics/kinetics of drug use; social determinants of health; psychosocial/psychology aspects of chronic care; and use of technology in the advancement of IBD care.
Education and experience
- 2008: Masters of Science in Nursing (Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Stream), University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 1996: Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
- Multidisciplinary Nurse-Centred Care for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A National Strategy and Roadmap for Canada. K. Frost, U. Cahuhan, B. Currie, K. Kroeker, C. Ma, N. Rohatinsky, S. Zelinksy, K. Murray. November 2022
- Development and validation of the TUMMY-UC, a patient-reported outcome in pediatric Ulcerative Colitis: A multicenter prospective study. D. Turner, L. Marcovitch, G. Focht, N. Carmon, C. Tersigni, O. Ledder, R. Lev Tzion, K. Frost, P. C. Church, R. Baldassano, A. Otley, M. Kappelman, A. Griffiths. Journal of Crohn's and Colitis, Volume 16, Issue Supplement 1, January 2022, Pages i109–i110, 21 January 2022
- Long Term Outcomes with Adalimumab Therapy in Pediatric Crohn’s disease: Associations with Adalimumab Exposure. F. Rinawi, C. Popalis, C. Tersgini, K. Frost, A. Musie, P. Church, T. Walters, A. Ricciuto, A. Griffiths. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, November 2021.
- Canadian Consensus Statements on the Transition of Adolescents and Young Adults with Inflammatory Bowel Disease from Pediatric to Adult Care: A collaborative initiative between The Canadian IBD Transition Network and Crohn’s and Colitis Canada. N. Fu*, N. Bollegalla*, K. Jacobson, K. Kroeker, K. Frost, W. Afif, W. El-Matary, S. Fowler, A. M. Griffiths, H. Huynh, P. Jantchou, A. Karimuddin, G. C. Nguyen, A. R. Otley, C. Pears, C. H. Seow, A. Toulany, C. Tersigni, J. Tignanelli, J. K. Marshall, M. Boctor, T. Hansen, C. Pattni, A. Wong, E. I. Benchimol, American Journal of Gastroenterology (submitted October 2021)
- Development of the IBD Disk: A Visual Self-Administered Tool for Assessing Disability in Inflammatory Bowel. S. Ghosh, E. Louis, L. Beaugerie, P. Bossuyt, G. Bouguen, A. Bourreille, M. Ferrante, D. Franchimont, K. Frost, X. Hebuterne, J. K. Marshall, C. O’Shea, G. Rosenfeld, C. Williams, L. Peyrin-Biroulet. Journal of Crohns and Colitis, 2017
Visit Karen Frost's ResearchGate profile for more publications.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre
Leading cutting-edge research, clinical care and education for paediatric IBD patients.