- Section Head, Cardiomyopathy & Heart Function, Division of Cardiology
- MB B.Ch., FAAP, FRCPC
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Jaclyn Cucchiella
- Alternate Phone:
- 416-813-7654 ext. 202611
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Medical Director, Ventricular Assist Device Program
Division of Cardiology
Division of Cardgiology
SickKids Research Institute
Dr. Aamir Jeewa received his medical degree from the University College Dublin in Ireland, and then went on to complete residency training in Paediatrics at the Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, NY. In 2006, Dr. Jeewa pursued training in Paediatric Cardiology at British Columbia Children’s Hospital in Vancouver, followed by a clinical fellowship in Heart Function and Transplantation at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). In 2011, he was then appointed as an Assistant Professor of Paediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine and Staff Cardiologist at Texas Children’s Hospital. While there, Dr. Jeewa was the Medical Director of the Ventricular Assist Device program and Fellowship Director for Advanced Training in Heart Failure and Transplantation at Texas Children’s Hospital.
Jeewa returned to SickKids in 2016 as the Section Head of the Cardiomyopathy & Heart Function Program within the Division of Cardiology, and was later appointed the Medical Director of the Ventricular Assist Device program in 2018.
Dr. Jeewa is an avid Maple Leafs and Raptors fan and enjoys traveling, playing recreational sports, and spending time with his wife and two children.
- Chen S, Cantor RS, Auerbach S, Schumacher K, Almond CS, Eghtesady P, Alejos J, Das BB, Hong BJ, Jaquiss R, Kirklin JK, Jeewa A. Outcomes After Infections in Adolescents and Young Adults with Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices. American Society for Artificial Internal Organs. 2019: 65 (4): 380-388.
- Jeewa A, Imamura M, Canter C, Niebler RA, VanderPluym C, Rosenthal DN, Kirklin JK, Cantor RS, Tresler M, McMullan DM, Morell VO, Turrentine M, Ameduri R, Nguyen K, Kanter K, Conway J, Gajarski R, Fraser CD Jr. Long-Term Outcomes After Transplantation After Support with a Pulsatile Ventricular Assist Device. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2019: 38 (4): pp 449-455.
- Tunuguntla H, Jeewa A, Denfield SW. Acute Myocarditis and Pericarditis in Children. Pediatrics in Review. 2019: 40 (1): pp 14-25.
- Puri K, Jeewa A, Adachi I, Denfield SW, Cabrera AG, Price JF, Humlicek TJ, Burki S, Dreyer WJ, Shah MD. Prevalence of Anemia and Iron Deficiency in Pediatric Patients on Ventricular Assist Devices. American Society for Artificial Internal Organs Journal. 2018: 64 (6) pp 795 – 801.)
- Parekh D, Jeewa A, Tume SC, Dreyer WJ, Pignatelli R, Horne D, Justino H, Qureshi AM. Percutaneous mechanical circulatory support using impella devices for decompensated cardiogenic shock: A pediatric heart center experience. American Society for Artificial Internal Organs Journal. 2018: 64 (1): pp. 98-104.
- Jeewa A. Beth D. Kaufman, Heart Transplant, Chapter 494. Rudolph's Pediatrics, 23rd, McGraw-Hill Medical. Ohio, USA: (Aug 2018).