- Professional Practice Lead, Speech-Language Pathology, Department of Communication Disorders
- M.Cl.Sc. CAGS
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Mackesha Chung-Ying
- Alternate Phone:
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Speech-Language Pathology
Senior Speech Language Pathologist, Department of Communication Disorders
Paula Klaime clinically specializes in speech and resonance disorders related to craniofacial and cleft conditions. Her current research focus is on quality improvement studies with emphasis on assessment, speech outcomes following surgery and improvement planning.
Education and experience
- 1979–1983; B.Sc. Communication Disorders, University of Western Ontario, London, ON
- 1983–1985: M.Cl.Sc. Speech Language Pathology, University of Western Ontario, London, ON
- 1988–1990: CAGS (Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies), Speech-Language Pathology, Boston University, Boston, MA
- 1997: CASLPA Media Award. Step By Step: Speech Therapy Techniques for Cleft Palate Speech
- 2008: Grant Reviewer. Health Sciences Centre Foundation.
- 2008: Journal Reviewer. Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Journal
- 2014: Oral abstract presentation award.-American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial, Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Bressmann, T., Radovanovic, B., Harper, S., Klaiman, P., Fisher, D., Kulkarni, G. Production of Two Nasal Sounds by Speakers With Cleft Palate. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 55(6), 876-882, 2018
- Klaiman, PG. Fischbach, SJ. Forrest, CR. Surgery for Velopharyngeal Dysfunction. In Losee J., Kirschner, R., Smith, D. (ed.) Comprehensive Cleft Care Family Edition. CRC Press, pp. 243-252; 2015
- Bezuhly, M., Fischbach, S., Klaiman, P., Fisher, D. Impact of 22q Deletion Syndrome on Speech Outcomes following Primary Surgery for Submucous Cleft Palate. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 129(3), 502-509; 2012. (CPA)
- Bressman, T., Radovanovic, B., Kulkarni, G., Klaiman, P., Fisher, D. An ultrasonographic investigation of cleft-type compensatory articulations of voiceless velar stops. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics. 2011. (C)
- Forrest, C., Klaiman, P. Mason, A. Posterior Pharyngeal Flaps. In Losee., J and Kirschner, R. (ed). Comprehensive Cleft Care. McGraw Hill Medical, pp. 649-664, 2009. (CPA)