- Chair, Society of Pediatric Dermatology Education Committee
- Elected Co-Chair, Epidermolysis Bullosa Clinical Research Consortium Committee
- Co-Chair of Acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa Group of the Pediatric Dermatology Research Alliance (PeDRA)
- Co-Chair of EB Clinical Research Consortium
Co-Director of the Paediatric Dermatology Update
Paediatric Dermatology Fellowship Director, Division of Paediatric Dermatology
Dr. Irene Lara-Corrales is an Associate Professor of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto and a Staff Physician in Paediatric Dermatology at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto, Canada.
She completed her medical training and paediatric residency at the University of Costa Rica, in San Jose, Costa Rica and her paediatric dermatology training at SickKids. She obtained a master of science degree from the University of Toronto.
She is involved in numerous clinical and research endeavours, as well as in teaching commitments. He co-directs the Genodermatoses, Epidermolysis Bullosa, Vascular Tumors and Café-au-Lait Screening clinics at SickKids. She is also the co-chair of the hospital’s Wound Care Committee. Her research interests include genodermatoses, inflammatory diseases, vascular anomalies and dermatologic problems in hematology/oncology patients.
Research activities are in close relation to clinical practice and aim to further investigate clinical questions in pediatric dermatology. Dr. Lara-Corrales participates in national and international collaborations to investigate skin disorder in children and investigate therapeutic interventions in children with common and uncommon skin disorders.
Education and experience
- 2010–2011: Stepping Stones Teacher Development Program, Continuing Education and Professional Development, Faculty Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto Ontario. Canada
- 2008–2010: Research Fellowship in Paediatric Dermatology, Department of Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2007–2009: (M.Sc.), Master of Science, Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2005–2008: Clinical Fellowship in Paediatric Dermatology, Department of Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2003–2004: Chief Resident in Charge of on-call Team, Hospital Nacional de Niños, San Jose, Costa Rica
- 2001–2004: Paediatric Residency, Hospital Nacional de Niños, San Jose, Costa Rica
- 1998: Rotatory Internship, University of Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica
- 1993–1999: Bachelor, Licentiate and Doctor in Medicine and Surgery (M.D.), University of Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica.
- 2020–2021: Co-Chair, Planning Committee of 46th Annual SPD Meeting, Toronto Ontario. Canada
- 2019: Dermatologist from the Heart Award, La Roche-Posay, Loreal Canada.
- 2019: Best Oral Presentation Award, Second Place, 19th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Dermatology, Dubrovnik, Croatia. May 2 – 4, 2019. “Hidradentitis Suppurativa in Pediatric Population: A Multicenter Retrospective study of 481 patients-Preliminary Results”.
- 2018: Poster Award, Second Place, 43rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Pediatric Dermatology, Lake Tahoe, California. Ramien M, Eichenfield L, Lara-Corrales I, Nopper AJ, Pope E, Shear N. “Redefining Severe Cutaneous Reaction in Children”
- 2015: Poster Award, First Place, Society for Pediatric Dermatology. Liy-Wong C, Pope E, Parkin P, Lara-Corrales I. “The Relationship between neurobromatosis type 1, juvenile xanthogranuloma and malignancy”
- 2014: Poster Award, Second Place, XXVI Congreso Mexicano de Dermatologia, Centro de convenciones Poliforum, Leon, Guanajuato. García MT, Lara-Corrales I. “Trabajo Libre on Mosaic Neurofibromatosis”
- Cotton, C. H., Chen, S. X., Hussain, S. H., Lara-Corrales, I., & Zaenglein, A. L. (2023). Hidradenitis Suppurativa in Pediatric Patients. Pediatrics, 151(5), e2022061049.
- Liy-Wong, C., Tarango, C., Pope, E., Coates, T., Bruckner, A. L., Feinstein, J. A., Schwieger-Briel, A., Hubbard, L. D., Jane, C., Torres-Pradilla, M., Zmazek, M., & Lara-Corrales, I. (2023). Consensus guidelines for diagnosis and management of anemia in epidermolysis bullosa. Orphanet journal of rare diseases, 18(1), 38.
- Fernández Faith, E., Shah, S. D., Braun, M., Pope, E., Lara-Corrales, I., Witman, P. M., Harfmann, K., Bradley, F., Keesari, R., Jackson, K., Hallagan, A., & Frieden, I. J. (2023). Incidence and Clinical Factors Associated with Ulceration in Infantile Hemangiomas. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 88(2), 414–420.
- Han, J., Dykman, M., Lunos, S., Nguyen, A., Hook, K. P., Lara-Corrales, I., Price, H. N., Diaz, L., Levy, M., & Boull, C. (2023). Transition of care in patients with epidermolysis bullosa: A survey study. Pediatric dermatology, 40(2), 258–260.
- Bourkas, A. N., Pope, E., Mendoza-Londono, R., Kamath, B. M., & Lara-Corrales, I. (2023). Early diagnosis of ichthyosis, leukocyte vacuoles, alopecia, and sclerosing cholangitis syndrome: A case report. Pediatric dermatology, 10.1111/pde.15255. Advance online publication.
- 2022–Present: CoPI. Management of Reactive Infectious Mucocutaneous Eruption (RIME) in Children. Lara-Corrales I, Ramien Michele. 2022 PeDRA Consensus Grant ($25,000 USD)
- 2019–2020: EB Medical Research Foundation
- 2018–2019: EB Medical Research Foundation
- 2019–2022: The Efficacy and Safety of AVC-516942 (3% Cannabidiol) Cream in Patients with Epidermolysis Bullosa: A Phase II/III trial. Avicanna Canada.
- 2018–present: Developing a molecular diagnostic test to improve NF1 diagnosis. Pediatric Consultants Fund.
- 2018: EB Research Partnership