- Staff Physician, Solid Tumour Section, Haematology/Oncology
- 416-813-7654 ext. 227565
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Catherine Lim Shue
- Alternate Phone:
- 416-813-7654 ext. 228454
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Director, New Agent and Innovative Therapy Program (NAIT), Haematology/Oncology
Director, Therapeutic MIBG Program, Haematology/Oncology
Co-Director, Neuroblastoma Program, Haematology/Oncology
Medical Director, Oncology and BMT/CT Clinical Trials Support Unit (CTSU)
Associate Scientist, Translational Medicine, Research Institute
Dr. Morgenstern trained in the U.K. with a combined medical/PhD qualification from the University of Cambridge, and then completed paediatric training in London. He was an academic clinical lecturer based at UCL Institute of Child Health and undertook research relating to cancer immunology. Morgenstern subsequently undertook a fellowship in drug development at the Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, U.K. and then moved to SickKids as the first Sears Foundation / Garron Cancer Centre Fellow in Neuroblastoma in 2012.
He was a consultant in paediatric oncology at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London before returning to SickKids in 2016 as Staff Oncologist and Director of the New Agent and Innovative Therapies (NAIT) program. His current focus in on the treatment of neuroblastoma and the development of novel therapeutic approaches for hard-to-treat childhood cancers through early phase clinical trials.
Dr. Morgenstern’s research interests include immunotherapy for high-risk neuroblastoma, the use of immune checkpoint inhibitors in paediatric cancers, and the development of precision medicine approaches for paediatric solid tumours.
- 1996: BA, Medical Sciences, University of Cambridge, U.K.
- 2000: MA, Honorary, University of Cambridge, U.K.
- 2001: PhD, Department of Physiology and Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, U.K.
- 2001: MB BChir, Medicine/Surgery, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, U.K.
Postgraduate, Research and Specialty Training
- 2002–2007: Specialty training in Paediatrics, London Deanery, U.K.
- 2007–2011: Sub-specialty training in Paediatric Oncology, London Deanery, U.K.
- 2012: Postdoctoral Fellowship, SickKids Research Training Centre
- 2005–2006: SpR Neonatology, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, U.K.
- 2006–2007: SpR Acute General Paediatrics (with particular responsibility for shared-care haematology/oncology patients), Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, U.K.
- 2007: SpR Community Paediatrics, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, U.K.
- 2007–2008: SpR / Clinical Lecturer, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, U.K., Educational supervisor: Dr Anthony Michalski
- 2009–2010: SpR (Specialty Registrar) / Clinical Lecturer, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, University College London Hospital, London, U.K., Educational supervisor: Dr Maria Michelagnoli
- 2010–2011: Clinical Lecturer, Paediatric Oncology, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, U.K., Educational supervisor: Dr John Anderson
- 2011–2012: Clinical Fellow in Drug Development and TYA Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, U.K., Educational supervisor: Prof Andrew Pearson
- 2012–2013: Sears Foundation/Garron Cancer Centre Fellow in Neuroblastoma, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Educational supervisors: Dr Meredith Irwin / Dr Sylvain Baruchel
- 2013–2016: Consultant in Paediatric Oncology, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, U.K.
- 2013–2017: Honorary Senior Lecturer, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, U.K.
- 2016–2017: Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Oncology, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, U.K.
- Stand Up to Cancer