Davide is Paediatric Cardiologist who joined The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in 2016. He studies the impact of congenital heart diseases on brain development in fetuses, newborns and children by using MR technology.
Davide completed his medical and paediatric training at the University of Verona, Italy, where he also obtained a PhD in Multimodal Imaging. He has worked as paediatric cardiologist and assistant professor in paediatric radiology in Paris, France, at the Hôpital Necker - Enfantes Malades, in Rome, at the Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesù, and in Turin at the Ospedale Infantile Regina Margherita, both in Italy.
The goal of Dr. Marini's research is to improve the neurodevelopmental outcome in patients with congenital heart disease. He aims to investigate the pathophysiology of congenital heart diseases on brain maturation and growth, from the fetal life across the childhood until the adult age using cardiac and brain MRI.
Marini believes that longitudinal studies using advanced imaging and neurodevelopmental assessment might identify modifiable risks factors for impaired neurodevelopmental outcome that are common in this population. In conjunction with observational studies in human patients, by using animal models, Marini wants to develop therapeutic strategies to mitigate against the adverse neurodevelopmental sequela of congenital heart disease.
Education and experience
- 2016–2019: Clinical Research Fellow, Paediatric Cardiology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 2013–2016: Physician, Paediatric Cardiology, Ospedale Infantile Regina Margherita, Turin, Italy
- 2012–2013: Physician, Paediatric Cardiology, Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesù, Rome, Italy
- 2009–2012: Physician, Paediatric Cardiology, Ospedale Infantile Regina Margherita, Turin, Italy
- 2008–2009: Physician, Paediatric Cardiology, Hôpital Necker-Enfants Malades, Paris, France
- 2007–2008: Chef de Clinique – Assistant (Assistant Professor) in Paediatric Radiology, Hôpital Necker-Enfants Malades, René Descartes, Univérsité Paris V, Paris, France
- 2005–2007: Fellow in Paediatric Cardiology, Hôpital Necker-Enfants Malades, Paris, France
- 2003–2005: Resident in Paediatrics, University of Verona, Italy
- 2014: Angelo Soro Award, Italian Society Congress of Paediatric Cardiology (SICP), Riva del Garda, Trento, Italy.
- 2010: Giancarlo Rastelli Award, Italian Society Congress of Paediatric Cardiology (SICP), Milan, Italy.
- 2010: Cum laude Award, 44° Congresso Nazionale SIRM (44th Italian Society of Radiology’s National Congress), Verona, Italy.
- 2007: Federico Marsico Award, Italian Society Congress of Paediatric Cardiology (SICP) with Off label use of a gastric banding for an adjustable pulmonary artery banding, Bergamo, Italy.
- 2007: Best Poster Award, - coauthor - 42th Annual Meeting of the Association for European Paediatric Cardiology (AEPC) - Warsaw, Poland
- Marini D, JiXu J, Sun L, Seed M. Current and future role of fetal cardiovascular MRI in the setting of fetal cardiac interventions. Prenat Diagnosis. 2019 13.
- Marini D, Van Amerom J, Saini B, Sun L, Seed M. MR Imaging of the fetal heart. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2019 13.
- Agnoletti G, Bordese R, Corleto A, Gabbarini F, Marini D. Interventional Catheterization after Total Cavopulmonary Connection: Experience in 68 Patients. Journal of Interventional Cardiology 2012: 25 (6): pp 622-627.
- Marini D, Ou P, Boudjemline Y, Kenny D, Bonnet D, Agnoletti G. Percutaneous closure of very large atrial septal defects in children: a midterm CT scan evaluation. Eurointervention 2012: 7 (12): pp 1428-1434.
- Marini D, Boudjemline Y, Bonnet D. Agnoletti G. Closure of extracardiac Fontan fenestration by using the covered CP stent. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions 2007: 69 (7): pp 1002-1006.