Dr. Mahant is a Paediatrician, Paediatric Hospitalist and Clinician-Investigator. The goal of his patient-oriented research program is to generate evidence to improve the health and health care delivery of hospitalized children. Dr. Mahant works with the General Paediatrics inpatient unit and in the Complex Care Program ambulatory program.
Dr. Mahant’s research in Paediatric Hospital Medicine falls into the three major categories of outcomes research:
- Comparative effectiveness of clinical strategies: Paediatric Hospital Medicine. Studies addressing diagnosis, prognosis and therapy for common and cumulatively costly conditions seen in Paediatric Hospital Medicine.
- Perspective of the patient: Shared decision-making & feeding interventions in children with medical complexity. Dr. Mahant has conducted studies, which have evaluated health status, quality of life, and decision-making around feeding interventions, such as gastrostomy tube, gastrojejunostomy tube, and fundoplication with particular attention to the parent and child perspective.
- Health Care Systems Performance: Paediatric hospital care. Dr. Mahant has examined the quality of care for hospitalized children by addressing a variety of issues. He has led studies evaluating quality of care across hospitals, physician-to-physician handoffs in the hospital, and individual clinical expertise in the hospital setting.
Education and experience
- 2006–2010: M.Sc., Health Research Methodology, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 1991–1995: MD, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2019: William Feldman Award for Excellence in Paediatric Medicine Research, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2017: Richard Rowe Clinical Excellence Award, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2017: Harry Bain Award, Postgraduate Teaching Award, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2013: Best Clinical Research Paper of the Year, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2006: Palliative and Bereavement Care Service Award, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2006: R.H.A. Haslam Preclerkship Teaching Award, Department of Pediatrics, University of Toronto, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2006: Wightman-Berris Undergraduate Award for Teaching Excellence, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2005: Harry Bain Award, Postgraduate Teaching Award, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2004: Junior Faculty Award, Department of Pediatrics Clinical Excellence Awards, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Editorial board positions
- 2018–Present: Senior Deputy Editor, The Journal of Hospital Medicine, USA
- 2013–2018: Editorial Board Member, The Journal of Pediatrics, USA
- 2019–Present: Chair, Pediatric Inpatient Research Network (PIRN), Canada
- 2009–Present: Executive Council Member. Pediatric Research in Inpatient Setting (PRIS) Network, USA
- Mahant S, Wahi G, Giglia L, Pound C, Kanani R, Bayliss A, Roy M, Sakran M, Kozlowski NA, Breen-Reid K, Lavigne M, Premji L, Moretti ME, Willan AR, Schuh S, Parkin PC. Intermittent vs. continuous oxygen saturation monitoring for infants hospitalized with bronchiolitis: study protocol for a pragmatic randomized controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2018 Apr;8(4):e022707.
- Mahant S, Keren R, Localio R, Luan X, Song L, Shah SS, Tieder JS, Wilson KM, Elden L, Srivastava R; for the Pediatric Research in Inpatient Settings (PRIS) Network. Variation in quality of tonsillectomy perioperative care and revisit rates in children’s hospitals. Pediatrics. 2014 Feb;133(2):280-288.
- Starmer AJ, Spector ND, Srivastava R, West DC, Rosenbluth G, Allen AD, Noble EL, Tse LL, Dalal AK, Keohane CA, Lipsitz SR, Rothschild JM, Wien MJ, Yoon CS, Zigmont KR, Wilson KM, O’Toole JK, Solan LG, Aylor M, Bismilla Z, Coffey M, Mahant S, Blankenburg RL, Destino LA, Everhard JL, Patel SJ, Bale JF, Spackman JB, Stevenson AT, Calaman S, Cole FS, Balmer DF, Hepps JH, Lopreiato JO, Yu CE, Sectish TC, Landrigan CP for the I-PASS Study Group. Changes in medical errors after implementing a handoff improvement program. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014 Nov;371(19): 1803-1812.
- Mahant S, Jovcevska V, Wadhwa A. The Nature of Excellent Clinicians in an Academic Health Science Centre: A Qualitative Study. Academic Medicine. 2012 Dec;87(12):1715-1721.
- Mahant S, Jovcevska V, Cohen E. Decision-making around gastrostomy-feeding in children with neurologic disabilities: Pediatrics 2011 June;127(6): e1471-1481.
- 2016–2021: Principal Investigator.
Intermittent vs. continuous oxygen saturation monitoring in infants hospitalized for bronchiolitis: A randomized controlled trial. CIHR Project Scheme Grant. Principal Investigator: Mahant S. Co Investigators: Moretti M, Willan A, Wahi G, Roy M, Pound C, Tijahjadi A, Bayliss A, Kanani R, Breen-Reid K, Lavigne M, Schuh S, Parkin P.