- Co-director of Statistical Analysis Facility at The Centre for Applied Genomics
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Darvy Teav
- Alternate Phone:
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Professor, Divisions of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
Genetics and Genome Biology
Dr. Paterson received a medical degree from the University of Glasgow in 1995 and from 1996-2000. He was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Toronto.
From 2000-2001, he was a Research Associate at The Centre for Applied Genomics at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). In 2001, he became a Scientist in Genetics and Genome Biology at SickKids Research Institute and in 2008 he was promoted to Senior Scientist.
Dr. Paterson’s work identifies genetic variations that are statistically associated with variation in both quantitative traits as well as specific diseases in humans. He focuses on traits related to diabetes, including kidney disease, eye disease, heart disease and nerve disease.
His team is also identifying genetic variants associated with measures of glycemia, including skin fluorescence. Dr. Paterson is involved in a number of projects where new methods for genetic studies are being developed.
Education and experience
- 1991–1993: Bachelor’s Faculty of Science, Neuroscience, University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
- 1988–1995: Doctorate, MB ChB – MD, Medicine, University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
- 1996–1997: Post-doctorate, Fellow, Genetics of complex disease, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Toronto, Ontario
- 1997–2000: CIHR Fellowship, Genetics of complex Disease, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2000–2001: Post-doctorate, Research Associate, Genetics of Complex Disease, The Center for Applied Genomics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2001–2007: Associate Member, Institute of Medical Science, Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2008–Present: Full Member, Institute of Medical Science, Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2001–2008: Scientist, Genetics and Genome Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2008–2014: Associate Professor, Biostatics & Psychiatry & Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2008–Present: Senior Scientist, Genetics and Genome Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2002–2012: Canada Research Chair Tier II– Genetics of Complex Disease American Diabetes Association Genetics program committee member, 2012 annual scientific meeting.
- 2013–2017: International Genetic Epidemiology Society, Scientific Program Committee
- 2009–2013: International Genetic Epidemiology Society, Publications Committee.
- 2014–2016: International Genetic Epidemiology Society, Board of Directors.
- 2012–2013: Genetic Analysis Workshop 18, Summary Papers editor
- 2014: ‘The genetics of risk factors and long-term complications of Type 1 Diabetes’ Benjamin F. Stapleton Jr. Lecture on the Genetics of Diabetes, Human Medical Genetics and Genomics Program, School of Medicine, University of Colorado, CO.
- 2014: ‘Optimal Strategies for Complex Genetic Traits’ The Kenneth M. Brinkhous Memorial plenary Lecture, International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Scientific and Standardization Committee. 24 June 2014, Milwaukee, IL.
- Eny KM, Lutgers HL, Maynard J, Klein BEK, Lee KE, Atzmon G, Monnier VM, van Vliet–Ostaptchouk JV, Graaff R, van der Harst P, Snieder H, van der Klauw MM, Sell DR, Hosseini SM, Cleary PA, Braffett BH, Orchard TJ, Lyons TJ, Howard K, Klein R, Crandall JP, Barzilai N, Milman S, Ben-Avraham D, LifeLines Cohort Study Group, DCCT/EDIC Research Group, Wolffenbuttel BHR, Paterson AD (2014) GWAS identifies an acetylator status tag single nucleotide polymorphism to be a major locus for skin fluorescence. Diabetologia 57:1623-34.
- Delnaz Roshandel, Ronald Klein, Barbara E. K. Klein, Bruce H. R. Wolffenbuttel, Melanie M. van der Klauw, Jana V. van Vliet-Ostaptchouk, Gil Atzmon, Jill P. Crandall, Nir Barzilai, Shelley B Bull, Angelo J Canty, S. Mohsen Hosseini, Linda T. Hiraki, John Maynard, David R. Sell, Vincent M. Monnier, Patricia A. Cleary, Barbara H. Braffett, DCCT/EDIC and WESDR Research Groups, Andrew D. Paterson (2016) New Locus for Skin Intrinsic Fluorescence in Type 1 Diabetes also associated with Blood and Skin Glycated Proteins. Diabetes 65: 2060-71.
- W Turpin, O Espin-Garcia, W Xu, MS Silverberg, D Kevans, MI Smith, DS Guttman, A Griffiths, R Panancionne, A Otley, L Xu, K Shestopaloff, G Moreno-Hagelsieb, The Crohn’s and Colitis Canada IBD GEM Project, AD Paterson, K Croitoru (2016) Association of Host Genome with Intestinal Microbial Composition in a Large Healthy Cohort. Nature Genetics 48; 1413-1417.
- Delnaz Roshandel, Rose Gubitosi-Klug, Shelley B. Bull, Angelo J. Canty, Marcus G. Pezzolesi, George L. King, Hillary A. Keenan, Janet K Snell-Bergeon, David M Maahs, Ronald Klein, Barbara E.K. Klein, Trevor J. Orchard, Tina Costacou, Michael N. Weedon, DCCT/EDIC Research Group, Richard A. Oram, Andrew D. Paterson (2018) Meta-genome-wide association studies identify a locus on chromosome 1 and multiple loci in the MHC region for serum C-peptide in type 1 diabetes. Diabetologia 61(5) 1098-1111.
- Rany M. Salem, Jennifer N. Todd, Niina Sandholm, Joanne B. Cole, Wei-Min Chen, Darrell Andrews, Marcus G. Pezzolesi, Paul M. McKeigue, Linda T. Hiraki, Chengxiang Qiu, Viji Nair, Chen Di Liao, Jing Jing Cao, Erkka Valo, Suna Onengut-Gumuscu, Adam M. Smiles, Stuart J. McGurnaghan, Jani K. Haukka, Valma Harjutsalo, Eoin P. Brennan, Natalie van Zuydam,Emma Ahlqvist, Ross Doyle, Tarunveer S. Ahluwalia, Maria Lajer, Maria F. Hughes, Jihwan Park, Jan Skupien, Athina Spiliopoulou, Andrew Liu, Rajasree Menon, Carine M. Boustany-Kari, Hyun M. Kang, Robert G. Nelson, Ronald Klein, Barbara E. Klein, Kristine E. Lee, Xiaoyu Gao, Michael Mauer, Silvia Maestroni, Maria Luiza Caramori, Ian H. de Boer, Rachel G. Miller, Jingchuan Guo, Andrew P. Boright, David Tregouet, Beata Gyorgy, Janet K. Snell-Bergeon, David M. Maahs, Shelley B. Bull, Angelo J. Canty, Colin N.A. Palmer, Lars Stechemesser, Bernhard Paulweber, Raimund Weitgasser, Jelizaveta Sokolovska, Vita Rovīte, Valdis Pīrāgs, Edita Prakapiene, Lina Radzeviciene, Rasa Verkauskiene, Nicolae Mircea Panduru, Leif C. Groop, Mark I. McCarthy, Harvest F. Gu, Anna Mollsten, Henrik Falhammar, Kerstin Brismar, Finian Martin, Peter Rossing, Tina Constacou, Gianpaolo Zerbini, Michel Marre, Samy Hadjadj, Amy J. McKnight, Carol Forsblom, Gareth McKay, Catherine Godson, A. Peter Maxwell, Matthias Kretzler, Katalin Susztak, Helen M. Colhoun, Andrzej Krolewski, Andrew D. Paterson, Per-Henrik Groop, Stephen S. Rich, Joel N. Hirschhorn, Jose C. Florez, SUMMIT Consortium, DCCT/EDIC Research Group, GENIE Consortium (2019) Genome-wide association study of diabetic kidney disease highlights biology involved in glomerular basement membrane collagen. JASN 30(10): 2000-2016.
- Candian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- McLaughlin Centre, University of Toronto
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation