- Clinical Manager Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery and Communication Disorders
- M.Cl.Sc., AUD(C)
- U of T Positions:
- Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, U of T
Following graduation from Western University, Vicky Papaioannou has spent her entire career at the Hospital for Sick Children. She served as the President of the College of Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists of Ontario from June 2010 to June 2013. Her interests include cochlear implantation, early identification and rehabilitation of hearing loss, and ototoxicity.
Papaioannou has been productive in research over the course of her career. As a Project Investigator at the Research Institute at SickKids, she has been involved in both single site as well as multi-centre studies. Research related to hearing and balance including ototoxicity, vestibulotoxicity, and cochlear implantation have been the focus.
- 1991–1993: M.Cl.Sc Audiology, School of Communication, Sciences and Disorders, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada
- 1987–1991: B.Sc. Communication Disorders, School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada
- 2019: Honour Roll, College of Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO), Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2016–2018: Chair, Cochlear Implants in Children Position Paper Review Committee, Speech-Language and Audiology Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- 2013: Award of Excellence for Interprofessional Collaboration, Cochlear Implant Team, Hospital for Sick Children, Canadian Association of Speech Language Pathologists & Audiologists (CASLPA), Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- 2013: Family Centered Care Advisory Council Award (Humanitarian Award) Team Award for the Cochlear Implant Team, The Hospital for Sick Children, Canada.
- 2010–2013: President, College of Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Lafay-Cousin, L, Purdy, E, Huang, A, Cushing, SL, Papaioannou, V, Nettel-Aguirre, A, Bouffet, E. Early cisplatin induced ototoxicity profile may predict the need for hearing support in children with medulloblastoma. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2012; 60(2): 287-292.
- Cushing SL, Gordon KA, Sokolov, M, Papaioannou, V, Polenko, M, Papsin, BC. Etiology and therapy indication for cochlear implantation in children with single-sided deafness: Retrospective analysis. HNO. 2019 Oct; 67(10): 750-759.
- Eskander A, Gordon KA, Kadhim L, Papaioannou V, Cushing SL, James AL, Papsin BC. Low Pediatric Cochlear Implant Failure Rate: Contributing Factors in Large-Volume Practice. Arch Otolaryngology Head Neck Surg. 2011 Dec;137(12):1190-1197 (Trainee publication).
- Ramsden, JD, Papaioannou, V, Gordon KA, James AL, Papsin, BC. Parental and program's decision making in paediatric simultaneous bilateral cochlear implantation: Who says no and why? International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2009; 73(10): 1325-1328. (Trainee publication).
- Trimble, K, Rosella, L, Propst, E, Gordon, KA, Papaioannou, V, Papsin, BC. Speech perception outcome in multiply disabled children following cochlear implantation: Investigating a predictive score. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 2008; 19(8): 602-611.