Dr. Akbar Rawji graduated from the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Toronto in 1997. He completed a two-year General Residency Programme at the New York Hospital Queens in 1999 and was a Clinical instructor for an additional year at the New York University, College of Dentistry. In 2003, he graduated with an M.Sc. from the Orthodontic speciality program at U of T and completed the Cleft Lip and Palate/Craniofacial programme at SickKids in 2004. Rawji was staff orthodontist at Holland Bloorview from 2004 until he joined SickKids in 2014. He has been in private orthodontic practice since 2003.
Completed a pilot project researching the impact of orthodontic appliances on sleep quality as part of the M.Sc. program in Orthodontics.
Education and experience
- 1990–1993: B.Sc., Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- 1993–1997: DDS, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- 1997–1999: General Practice Residency, New York Hospital Queens
- 1999–2000: Clinical instructor, College of Dentistry, New York University
- 2000–2003: Master of Science in Orthodontic Speciality Program, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto
- 2003–2004: Cleft Lip and Palate/ Craniofacial Fellowship, SickKids, Toronto
- 2004–2014: Staff Orthodontist, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehab
- 2014–present: Staff Orthodontist, SickKids
- 2003–present: Private Practice, Orthodontics
- 2009–present: Royal College of Dentists, Orthodontic Board Examiner
- 2014–2019: Treasurer, University of Toronto Orthodontic Alumni Association
- 2019–present: Co-President, University of Toronto Orthodontic Alumni Association