Division of Cardiology
Division of Cardiology
Mike Seed is the Division Head of Cardiology at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto. He went to medical school at the University of Newcastle, U.K., where he also trained in paediatrics. He did residency training in Radiology at Leeds and a paediatric cardiology fellowship at SickKids.
His clinical work at SickKids includes cross-sectional cardiac imaging and fetal cardiology. His research is in fetal and infant circulatory physiology and brain development. He is also working on a swine model of the artificial placenta.
- Zhu M, Milligan N, Keating S, Windrim R, Keunen J, Thakur V, Ohman A, Portnoy S, Sled JG, Kelly E, Yoo S-J, Grosse-Wortmann L, Jaeggi E, Macgowan CK, Kingdom JC, Seed M. The hemodynamics of late-onset intrauterine growth restriction by MRI. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2016: 214 (367) pp.e1-17.
- Porayette P, Sun L, Jaeggi, Grosse - Wortmann L, Yoo SJ, Hickey E, Miller S, Macgowan C, Seed M. MRI reveals hemodynamic changes with acute maternal hyperoxygenation in human fetuses with and without congenital heart disease. Prenatal Diagnosis. 2016: 36: pp 274 – 281.
- Sun L, Macgowan CK, Sled JG, Yoo SJ, Manlhiot C, Grosse-Wortmann L, Jaeggi E, McCrindle BW, Kingdom J, Hickey E, Miller S, Seed M. Reduced fetal cerebral oxygen consumption is associated with smaller brain size in fetuses with congenital heart disease. Circulation. 2015: 131: pp 1313 – 1323.
- Prsa M, van Amerom JFP, Yoo S - J, Grosse-Wortmann L, Jaeggi E, Macgowan C, Seed M. Reference ranges of blood flow in the major vessels of the normal human fetal circulation at term by phase contrast MRI. Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging. 2014: 7 (4): pp 663 – 670.
- Seed M, van Amerom JFP, Yoo SJ, Nafisi B, Grosse-Wortmann L, Jaeggi E, Jansz MS, Macgowan CK. Feasibility of quantification of the distribution of blood flow in the normal human fetal circulation using CMR: a cross - sectional study. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2012: 14: pp 79.
- Principal Investigator. The artificial placenta. Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR). Principal Investigator: Seed M. Co-Investigators: Belik J, Chaturvedi R, De Queiroz Taniguchi L, Flake A, Floh A, Haller C, Jaeggi E, Kingdom J, Macgowan C, Maxwell C, Maynes J, McVey M, Morrison J. $738,225 CAD. (2020 – 2025)
- Co-Investigator. Mending a broken heart. Understanding and harnessing the fetal heart’s capacity for repair. NHMRC Project Grant. Principal Investigator: Morrison, J. Co-Investigators: Seed M, Selvanayagam J, Nyensgaard J, Macgowan C. $1,000,060 AUD. (2020 – 2023)
- Co-Investigator. Going with the flow: Directing nutrient rich blood to the brain. Australian Research Council. Principal Investigator: Morrison J. Co-Investigators: Macgowan C, Seed M. $397,057 CAD. (2019 – 2021)
- Principal Investigator. Brain development following late onset intrauterine growth restriction. Canadian Institute of Health Research Project Grant. Principal Investigator: Seed M. Co-Investigators: Kingdom J, Widjaja E, Kelly E, Miller S, Manlhiot C, Keating S, Keunen J, Macgowan C. $550,440 CAD. (2016 – 2020)
- Lead Investigator. Maternal hyperoxygenation in congenital heart disease. CHILD BRIGHT SPOR, Canadian Institute for Health Research. Principal Investigator: Seed M, Co-Investigators: Miller S, Hornerger L, Kingdom J, Bhargava R, Hicks M, Fruitman D, Macgowan C, Ly L. $1,180,000 CAD. (2016 – 2022)
- Co-Principal Investigator. Cardiovascular physiology and brain development in neonates with congenital heart disease. Canadian Institute of Health Research. Co-Principal Investigators: Seed M, Miller S. Co-Investigators: Macgowan C, Kingdom J, Chau V, Brant R, Schwartz S, Sled J, Hickey E, Blaser S. $1,008,000 CAD. (2015 – 2021)