Title: Staff Neonatologist, Division of Neonatology
Designations: MB ChB, B.Sc., PhD
Alternate Contact Name: Jessica Au Yeung
Alternate Phone: 416-813-6345
Alternate Email: Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org
U of T Positions: Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Dr. Chris Tomlinson trained in Neonatology in Scotland and Toronto, joining the Division of Neonatology at SickKids in 2007. He completed his PhD in Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto and has a cross appointment to this department. His research and academic interests are in growth and nutrition with an interest in the medical management of surgical patients within the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. This includes collaborations with Dr. Glenda Courtney-Martin and Dr. Agostino Pierro, examining amino acid requirements and novel NEC treatments.
Education and experience
- 2005–2010: PhD, Department of Nutritional Sciences, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 1987–1994: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
- 1987–1991: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)(Hons), Immunology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Postgraduate, Research and Specialty Training
- 2005–2010: PhD Student, Department of Nutritional Sciences, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2004–2007: Research Fellow, Acute Care Transport Services, Neonatology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2000–2004: Specialist Registrar, Paediatric Medicine, West of Scotland Deanery, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom.
- 1998–2000: Clinical Fellow, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto Neonatal-Perinatal Fellowship Programme, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2011: PhD Dissertation Award, Author, Canadian Nutrition Society, Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Academic Award, Nutritional Sciences. Total Amount: $1,000 CAD
- Collaborator. James A L. Chakraborty P, Tomlinson C, Harrison R V. Does riboflavin depletion cause auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder in at risk neonates? International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. July 2020.
- Collaborator. DiLauro S, Russell J, Kocel S, McCrindle B, Tomlinson C, Unger S, O’Conner L D. Growth in infants receiving modified fat breast milk protocols for treatment of post cardiothoracic surgery chylothorax. Journal of parenteral and enteral nutrition. May 2020.
- Senior Responsible Author. C, Tomlinson. How Much Protein for Preterm Infants?. J Pediatr Gatroenterol Nutr. 2020 Jan;70(1):2-3.
- Senior Responsible Author. Al-Mokbel A, Rafii M, Pencharz P, Elango R, Courtney-Martin G, Tomlinson C. Tryptophan requirements in children determined by IAAO. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2019 Feb 1;149(2):280-285.
- Collaborator. Asbury MR, Unger S, Kiss A, Ng DVY, Luk Y, Bando N, Bishara R, Tomlinson C, O'Connor DL; GTA-DoMINO Feeding Group. Optimizing the growth of very-low-birth-weight infants requires targeting both nutritional and nonnutritional modifiable factors specific to stage of hospitalization. Am J Clin Nutr. 2019 Dec 1;110(6):1384-1394.
- April 2016– March 2023: Co-Investigator. NECTAR - Necrotizing Enterocolitis Toronto Advanced Research: advancing knowledge of the disease mechanism and introducing innovative therapies. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Foundation Grant 2015 Live Pilot. Principal Investigator: Pierro, Agostino. Collaborator(s): Daneman A, Eaton S, Himidan S, Miller S, Parkinson J, Pleasants H, Shah P, Tomlinson C, Zani A. $3,637,274 CAD.
- March 2015– March 2020: Co-Investigator. Use of Indicator acid oxidation to determine amino acid requirement. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Transitional Operating Grant. Principal Investigator: Elango R. Collaborator(s): Pencharz PB, Courtney-Martin G, Tomlinson C. $199,880 CAD
- June 2013 – June 2018: Co-Investigator. Optimizing Mothers' Milk for Preterm Infants. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Operating Grant. Principal Investigator: O’Connor, Deborah, Unger, Sharon. Collaborator(s): Doesburg S, Fusch C, Hamilton J, Innis S, Kiss A, Miller S, Pencharz P, Rovet J, Shah P, Stintzi A, Tam E, Taylor M, Tomlinson C, Zlotnik Shaul R. $1,933,019 CAD.
- April 2012– March 2017: Co-Investigator. Neonatal Protein and Energy Metabolism. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). MOP 12928. Principal Investigator: Pencharz, Paul. Collaborator(s): Tomlinson C, Ball RO. $739,355 CAD