- Staff Physician, Division of Endocrinology
- MD, FRCPC
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Megan Imbrasas
- Alternate Phone:
- 416-813-7654 ext. 228186
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Diane Wherrett received her medical degree at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. She trained in Paediatrics and Paediatric Endocrinology at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), Toronto, and did a research fellowship in the immunology of type 1 diabetes at Stanford University.
She is currently a Staff Physician in the Division of Endocrinology, Department of Paediatrics, and Professor at the University of Toronto at SickKids. She was the Program Director for the Paediatric Endocrinology Training Program at SickKids from 2009 until August 2018. She is the Centre Director of the Canadian site of the NIH multicentre clinical trial group, Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet, and a member of the TrialNet Steering Committee. In addition, she is interested in the care of children with disorders of sex development.
Dr. Wherrett’s research currently focuses on outcomes of teens with disorders of sex development, and the assessment of persistent mild elevation of 17-OH progesterone in newborn screening for CAH and Type 1 Diabetes.
Education and experience
- 1983–1987: Doctor of Medicine, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
- 1988–1991: Resident, Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1991–1992: Fellowship, Paediatric Endocrinology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1992–1995: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University, Stanford, U.S.
- 1995–Present: Endocrinologist, Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 2001–Present: Project Investigator, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 2017–Present: Professor, Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario