- 555 University Avenue, Burton Wing, Main Floor
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
About the Clinic
The Eye Clinic is run by the Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, the largest paediatric ophthalmology centre in North America, with over 26,000 clinic visits and over 1,000 surgeries performed every year. The department runs multiple clinics each day with our highly specialized team of MDs, technicians, allied health professionals and administrative staff who are committed to providing the best and most compassionate care to patients and their families.
What to bring:
- Any medical information, such as referral letters, test results, information about current therapies, X-rays, MRIs, ultrasounds or CT scans
- All medications your child is currently taking (in original packaging), including alternative and complementary treatments
- Eye glasses/contacts if your child wears them
- A hat or sunglasses. Your child’s eyes may be light sensitive if eye drops are used.
- The Eye Clinic is located on the Main Floor of the Burton Wing.
- From University Avenue Entrance: turn right (opposite direction of Shoppers Drug Mart), go down the hall and follow the signs.
- From Elizabeth Street Entrance: walk down Main Street towards Shoppers Drug Mart and turn left down the hall and follow the signs.
What to Expect During Your Visit
- Your child will see an orthoptist who will check vision and put eye drops (if needed) in your child’s eyes. These drops take 30 to 45 minutes to work.
- Your child will then see the eye doctor who will examine the eyes and decide next steps in the management of your child’s eye condition.
- Your child’s doctor may decide extra tests or imaging are required on day of appointment. Your visit therefore may last two to three hours. Please prepare accordingly.
Coming to a clinic appointment
It's important to come prepared and be on time for a clinic appointment. Visit Coming for Clinic Appointments to read appointment guidelines that are applicable for most clinical appointments at SickKids.
You’ll find information on how to prepare and what to bring, what to do if you/your child are sick before your appointment or you need to cancel, and important things to know about the SickKids philosophy.