SickKids is launching a new integrated electronic health information system on June 2
One patient, one record, one team, one connected system.
The big day is almost here! We are excited for the launch of our new health information system on June 2, the largest clinical transformation project to date at SickKids. The system will fundamentally change the way SickKids provides care, helping the hospital significantly improve efficiencies, enhance patient safety and access to patient information, and create a more seamless care experience for children and their families.
Hundreds of staff members have spent thousands of hours over the last 18 months building and testing the system and training our staff, all with the goal to improve the experience for our patients and their families.
Currently at SickKids we use numerous systems, combined with paper charts, to document patient information. Our staff are required to spend time looking for information in multiple places when looking after patients. Our new system will be fully integrated; all patient information will be in one system with real-time access to the information the care provider needs.
Benefits to our patients and families
- The entire care team will have access in real-time to your child’s health information. This means patients and families will spend less time repeating their information as they interact with different staff throughout the hospital
- Patients and their families will be able to access their health information through MyChart – an online patient portal. They can view personal health information, upcoming appointments and lab results. There is even the functionality to send a message directly to their care team. MyChart will be rolled out in a phased approach, with all clinics on MyChart by the end of December 2018.
- Upon discharge, after a clinic visit or a visit to the Emergency Department, every patient will receive an After Visit Summary – a comprehensive document listing treatment details and instructions, medication list and upcoming appointments.
- Every patient will wear a new and improved patient ID band that will include a barcode. If medication needs to be given, the medication will be scanned and the ID band will be scanned. This ensures that the right medication is given to the right patient at the right time. Patients with allergies will easily be identified in our contrasting black ID bands. Patients without allergies will have white ID bands.
- No more paper! Not only are we saving trees, we are eliminating lost documentation and transcription errors because all information will be electronic.
- Our various clinics and research teams will all be connected so they can easily coordinate your clinical and research appointments.
The launch of our new system is only the beginning. We look forward to continuously enhancing our system that supports the integrated care we deliver.
Stay up to date on our new health information system and what it means to you by following SickKids on Twitter.