- Division Head, Clinical Biochemistry
- PhD, FCACB, DABCC, FACB
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Fay Thomas
- Alternate Phone:
- Alternate Email:
- REACH Profile:
- Dr. Adeli's REACH profile
- U of T Positions:
- Professor, Departments of Laboratory Medicine & Pathobiology, Biochemistry, and Physiology
Senior Associate Scientist
- 1998–Present: Division Head, Clinical Biochemistry, Paediatric Laboratory Medicine, SickKids
- 2001–Present: Director, Point of Care Testing Program, SickKids
- 2017–Present: Vice Chair, Quality, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, U of T
- 2020–2023: President, International Federation of Clinical Chemistry & Laboratory Medicine (IFCC) Institute
Dr. Adeli has been actively involved in both molecular and clinical laboratory research since 1988 and has published over 500 articles and abstracts to date. His main area of research focuses on understanding the pathophysiology of obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Specifically, his laboratory is investigating the neuroendocrine mechanisms regulating intestinal and hepatic lipoprotein overproduction in insulin resistant states and the role of the gut-brain-liver axis in lipid and lipoprotein metabolism. These studies are supported by a CIHR Foundation Grant as well as the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
Dr. Adeli is also active in clinical chemistry research and has been involved in a number of diagnostic test development projects. He is the principal investigator of the Canadian Laboratory Initiative on Paediatric Reference Interval Database (CALIPER) project aimed at the establishment of a laboratory reference interval database for biomarkers of paediatric disease. The CALIPER database is now used in hospitals across Canada and around the world to improve diagnosis and monitoring of children with medical concerns.
Education and Experience
- 1998: Postdoctoral Diploma, Clinical Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 1986: PhD, Biochemistry, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- 1982: M.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Postgraduate, Research and Specialty Training
- 1986–1988: Ontario Ministry of Health Clinical Chemistry Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 1985–1986: NSERC Visiting Fellowship in Government Laboratories, National Research Council Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- 2020–2023: President-Elect, International Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC)
- 2000–2020: Program Director, Postdoctoral Training Program in Clinical Biochemistry, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
- 2013–Present: Editor-in-Chief, Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- 2015–2018: Member, Board of Directors, American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) Academy
- 2013–2018: Chair, Communications and Publications Division, International, Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC)
- 2009–2018: Member, Scientific Advisory Board, International Centre in Genetic Engineering and Biotech (ICGEB)
- 2007–2012: Chair, Public Relations Committee, International, Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC)
- 2007–2010: President, Commission on Accreditation in Clinical Chemistry (ComACC)
- 1999–2006: Editor-in-Chief, Clinical Biochemistry
Research and Service Awards
- 2019: AACC Academy Outstanding Research Award – American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 2017: Graduate Teaching Award – Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
- 2016: Senior Investigator Award – Canadian Lipoprotein Conference
- 2015: Lifetime Achievement Award – Ontario Society of Clinical Chemists
- 2015: AACC Award for Outstanding Contributions to Pediatric-Maternal-Fetal Division – American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 2015: CSCC Award for Innovation in Laboratory Medicine – Canadian Society of Clinical Chemists
- 2020–2021: Principal Investigator. CALIPER Mother and Child Study. March of Dimes (MOD Grant).
- 2018 Jul–2021 Jun: Principal Investigator. Neuroendocrine Regulation of Hepatic Lipid and Lipoprotein Metabolism in Insulin Resistant States, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC Grant).
- 2016 Jul–2024 Mar: Principal Investigator. Fundamental and Translational Studies of Diabetic Dyslipidemia in Insulin Resistant States. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR Foundation Grant).
- Adeli K, Higgins V, Trajcevski K, White-Al Habeeb N. The Canadian laboratory initiative on pediatric reference intervals: A CALIPER white paper. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2017 Sep;54(6):358-413. doi: 10.1080/10408363.2017.1379945.
- Adeli K, Higgins V, Trajcevski K, Palmert MR. Important considerations for interpreting biochemical tests in children. BMJ. 2018 May 24;361:k1950. doi: 10.1136/bmj.k1950.
- Higgins V, Asgari S, Hamilton JK, Wolska A, Remaley AT, Hartmann B, Holst JJ, Adeli K. Postprandial dyslipidemia, hyperinsulinemia, and impaired gut peptides/bile acids in adolescents with obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Dec 11. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgz261. [Epub ahead of print]
- Higgins V, Omidi A, Tahmasebi H, Asgari S, Gordanifar K, Nieuwesteeg M, Adeli K. Marked influence of adiposity on laboratory biomarkers in a healthy cohort of children and adolescents. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Dec 17. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgz161. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tahmasebi H, Asgari S, Hall A, Higgins V, Chowdhury A, Thompson R, Bohn MK, Macri J, Adeli K. Influence of ethnicity on biochemical markers of health and disease in the CALIPER cohort of healthy children and adolescents. Clin Chem Lab Med. Epub 2019 Dec 24. doi: 10.1515/cclm-2019-0876. [Epub ahead of print]