Senior Associate Scientist
- 1998–Present: Division Head, Clinical Biochemistry, Paediatric Laboratory Medicine, SickKids
- 2001–Present: Director, Point of Care Testing Program, SickKids
- 2017–Present: Vice Chair, Quality, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, U of T
- 2020–2023: President, International Federation of Clinical Chemistry & Laboratory Medicine (IFCC)
Dr. Adeli has been actively involved in both molecular and clinical laboratory research since 1988 and has published over 600 articles and abstracts to date. His main area of research focuses on understanding the pathophysiology of obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Specifically, his laboratory is investigating the neuroendocrine mechanisms regulating intestinal and hepatic lipoprotein overproduction in insulin resistant states and the role of the gut-brain-liver axis in lipid and lipoprotein metabolism. These studies are supported by a CIHR Foundation Grant as well as the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
Dr. Adeli is also active in clinical chemistry research and has been involved in a number of diagnostic test development projects. He is the principal investigator of the Canadian Laboratory Initiative on Paediatric Reference Interval Database (CALIPER) project aimed at the establishment of a laboratory reference interval database for biomarkers of paediatric disease. The CALIPER database is now used in hospitals across Canada and around the world to improve diagnosis and monitoring of children with medical concerns.
Education and Experience
- 1998: Postdoctoral Diploma, Clinical Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 1986: PhD, Biochemistry, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- 1982: M.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Postgraduate, Research and Specialty Training
- 1986–1988: Ontario Ministry of Health Clinical Chemistry Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
- 1985–1986: NSERC Visiting Fellowship in Government Laboratories, National Research Council Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- 2020–2023: President-Elect, International Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC)
- 2000–2020: Program Director, Postdoctoral Training Program in Clinical Biochemistry, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
- 2013–Present: Editor-in-Chief, Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- 2015–2018: Member, Board of Directors, American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) Academy
- 2013–2018: Chair, Communications and Publications Division, International, Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC)
- 2009–2018: Member, Scientific Advisory Board, International Centre in Genetic Engineering and Biotech (ICGEB)
- 2007–2012: Chair, Public Relations Committee, International, Federation of Clinical Chemistry (IFCC)
- 2007–2010: President, Commission on Accreditation in Clinical Chemistry (ComACC)
- 1999–2006: Editor-in-Chief, Clinical Biochemistry
Research and Service Awards
- 2020: Richard G. Hegele Award for Excellence in Research and Innovation - Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
- 2019: AACC Academy Outstanding Research Award – American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 2017: Graduate Teaching Award – Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
- 2016: Senior Investigator Award – Canadian Lipoprotein Conference
- 2015: Lifetime Achievement Award – Ontario Society of Clinical Chemists
- 2015: AACC Award for Outstanding Contributions to Pediatric-Maternal-Fetal Division – American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 2015: CSCC Award for Innovation in Laboratory Medicine – Canadian Society of Clinical Chemists
- Adeli K, Higgins V, Trajcevski K, White-Al Habeeb N. The Canadian laboratory initiative on pediatric reference intervals: A CALIPER white paper. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2017 Sep;54(6):358-413.
- Adeli K, Higgins V, Trajcevski K, Palmert MR. Important considerations for interpreting biochemical tests in children. BMJ. 2018 May 24;361:k1950.
Higgins V, Asgari S, Hamilton JK, Wolska A, Remaley AT, Hartmann B, Holst JJ, Adeli K. Postprandial dyslipidemia, hyperinsulinemia, and impaired gut peptides/bile acids in adolescents with obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Apr 1;105(4):dgz261.
- Higgins V, Omidi A, Tahmasebi H, Asgari S, Gordanifar K, Nieuwesteeg M, Adeli K. Marked influence of adiposity on laboratory biomarkers in a healthy cohort of children and adolescents. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Apr 1;105(4):dgz161.
Zhang J, Jazii FR, Haghighi MM, Alvares D, Liu L, Khosraviani N, Adeli K. miR-130b is a Potent Stimulator of Hepatic VLDL Assembly and Secretion via Marked Induction of Microsomal Triglyceride Transfer Protein (MTP). Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Feb 1;318(2):E262-E275.
- 2021 Jul–2022 Jun: Principal Investigator. Clinical Utility of Serum Calprotectin Testing in the Paediatric Emergency Department of the Hospital for Sick Children. Gentian AS.
- 2021 Jul–2022 Jun: Principal Investigator. Pediatric SARS-CoV-2 Surveillance Program in Children & Adolescents in the Greater Toronto Area. Merck Canada Inc.
- 2021 Jul–2022 Jun: Principal Investigator. Pediatric Evaluation of Abbott COVID-19 Quantitative IgG and Seroprevalence Study of School Children and Adolescents. Abbott Diagnostics USA.
- 2020 Nov–2022 Feb: Principal Investigator. Establishment of Pediatric Reference Intervals for Mindray Hematology Parameters for Worldwide Application in Clinical Laboratories. Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics Co., Ltd.
- 2020 Jul–2021 Jun: Principal Investigator. Serological Investigation of COVID-19 Antibodies in the Pediatric Population: A Study of Abbott IgG and IgM Assays on Architect and Alinity Platforms. Abbott Diagnostics USA
- 2020 Jan–2021 Sep: Principal Investigator. CALIPER Mother and Child Study. March of Dimes (MOD Grant).
- 2018 Jul–2021 Jun: Principal Investigator. Neuroendocrine Regulation of Hepatic Lipid and Lipoprotein Metabolism in Insulin Resistant States, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC Grant).
- 2016 Jul–2024 Mar: Principal Investigator. Fundamental and Translational Studies of Diabetic Dyslipidemia in Insulin Resistant States. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR Foundation Grant).