Facebook Pixel Code
Health-care Professionals
Health-care Professionals

Residents and fellows


There are two annual intake periods for Residents and Fellows (trainees). The dates are as follows:

  • July 1st (start of academic year)/ 1st week of June for Dentistry trainees.
  • January 1st (start of calendar year)

All trainee appointments terminate on or before June 30th of every academic year. Therefore, it is mandatory that each trainee re-registers on or before June 30th of every year regardless of when the appointment began. Likewise, all identification badges expire on that day to ensure that the individual renews his/her registration with the University of Toronto and SickKids. All exiting trainees are required to complete the Resident/Fellow Checkout Form and return their SickKids identification.

SickKids Credentials Office requirements for residents and fellows

It is mandatory that all fellows and residents register with the Credentials Office before commencing any patient care activities at SickKids. Trainees must provide the following documentation in order to be properly registered at SickKids:

Confirmation of Registration with the Postgraduate Medical Education Office or Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto (U of T). We DO NOT accept student cards. For medical trainees this document may be obtained from the U of T Post Graduate website known as POWER: http://www.pgme.utoronto.ca.

Proof of Licensure: Dental Trainees are required to show proof of registration with the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDS). Please note that medical trainees are required to be registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, but are not required to show documentation of this as it appears on their Confirmation of Registration form.

Proof of Malpractice Insurance Coverage: Typically this is obtained from the Canadian Medical Protection Association or a recognized equivalent. This information appears on the Confirmation of Registration form for U of T medical trainees and comprises a mandatory requirement of registration with U of T. Dental trainees are insured against malpractice through The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDS) and are required to bring in their original card or certificate.

Proof of Current Employment Authorization (Visa) from all international trainees issued by Employment and Immigration Canada. The Visa is to be provided to the Credentials Office at the time of registration.

Also see the Research Training Centre for more information on training programs and fellowship information.